Old 11-18-2009, 07:24 PM   #1  
Dan Dan is offline
Dan's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 11,160
Default Bufo or Cane toad

A year after moving to Florida and the day I picked up my first rott puppy in 6 years was also my first exposure to the bufo toad. I thought it was fun to see the new pup chase the toad I found near my house, I even encouraged him to go after it. Then I noticed something strange about about the toad, it was the white secretions from the back of it's head. Instantly I remembered a documentary about the poisonous cane toads of Australia. Followed a frantic washing of the pups mouth and a sleepless night watching him closely. I was very aware of those toads since that time because often dogs show an interest in them.

It's been a few years since that incident and I mellowed out about the toads, they're everywhere when it rains but my dog which I've had for a year, and is crazy for any other moving animal, showed very little interest in them. A friend of mine called me some time back asking about how I think a dog can be trained to leave the toads alone. Apparently he has a client on one of the Caribbean islands with a GSD. This dog is crazy for the toads and every once in a while he is found passed out for a few hours. This made me think that toad poisoning is not always fatal. I've also seen how long it takes for the glands to start secreting poison once the toad is bothered and figured I'll have enough time to call the dog off.

Yesterday for the first time I found a toad in the dog's bowl after it finished eating. The bowl was empty and my rott was ignoring the toad. My 3 year old daughter was with me and I thought it was a good opportunity to show her what a toad is. Bad move, as soon as I directed her attention to the toad and made the toad jump the dog also took interest. He dove right in and grabbed the toad in his mouth. It was only a second and I told him to drop it. I didn't think much of it because like I said I didn't think the toad can secrete the poison so fast. I was wrong, the dog started foaming at the mouth immediately. The story of the GSD taking an occasional toad hit and surviving kept me calm. I washed my dogs mouth out with the garden hose. He kept foaming at the mouth for half an hour, he also pawed at his mouth occasionally. Everything went back to normal after an hour. I wonder if he'll try to grab another toad in the future or if he associated the unpleasant experience with the toad.

Here's some info about the Bufor or Cane toad http://www.healthyhomesforkidsandpet...cles/bufo.html It may be something new for those of you who have dogs and are not living in a tropical or semi tropical climate.
Bufo Toad Poisoning
A common threat to south Florida dogs is poisoning from Bufo marinus,
the giant or cane toad. This species of toad produces a pasty yellow-
white toxin in the parotid glands, which extend from the head backward
over the shoulder region and is released through pinhole openings in the
skin. When a dog mouths or bites a Bufo toad the toxin is released and
rapidly absorbed across the mucus membranes of the mouth.

Symptoms of Bufo poisoning occur suddenly and may include profuse
salivation, vocalizing and pawing at the mouth, brick-red gums,
incoordination or a stiff gait, difficulty breathing and the intoxication can
rapidly progress to seizures and death.

The severity of the poisoning depends on the size of the dog and the
amount of toxin absorbed into the blood stream. Puppies and small
breed dogs such as Dachshunds, Mini-Pins, Jack Russell Terriers and
miniature Schnauzers are more seriously affected because they get "more
poison per pound" than a large breed dog.

Bufo toads are most active in the spring and summer months when it is
warm and moist outside. They are also nocturnal, therefore most
poisonings occur in the evening, late-night or early-morning hours.
Poisonings can happen very quickly and even dogs being leash-walked
have been known to grab a toad and be poisoned


Step 1) DO NOT PANIC!!!
You need to be able to think clearly and act
quickly to help save your pet. Panicking will only keep you from acting

Step 2) IMMEDIATELY rinse the dog’s mouth out with a large amount
of water using either a hose, kitchen sink sprayer, shower sprayer or
water bottle. Rinse the mouth from side to side.
. The
toxin is very sticky and may need to be gently rubbed off of the mucus
membranes of the mouth. Be very careful so as not to get bit by your
pet. Even the gentlest animal may bite if it is scared, in pain or having a

Step 3) Calmly transport the dog to your veterinarian for further care.
PLAN AHEAD! Save time in an emergency by preparing now. Keep the
phone number of your veterinarian by the telephone. Since most
poisonings occur at night
CALL FIRST to make sure that the hospital is
open, don’t waste time driving to a closed facility. Keep the phone
number and address of a nearby emergency clinic near the phone too, in
case your regular veterinarian is not available.

There is no specific antidote for Bufo-toxin and treatment consists mainly
of supportive care. The toxin can affect the heart causing it to beat in an
irregular pattern and hyperthermia (body temperature greater than 105
degrees) may develop from seizuring. Intravenous fluids, cool-water
baths and anti-arrhythmic drugs are all used in the treatment of Bufo

So what can you do to prevent your pet from being poisoned? First of
all, learn to recognize what a Bufo toad looks like. Adults can be as large
as 6 to 9 inches in length and have brown, or gray-brown warty skin.
Younger toads are much smaller but just as dangerous. Bufo toads are
ground dwelling animals. Do not confuse them with tree frogs, which
have suction-cup feet and may be found crawling up the side of your

Bufo toads live near water such as ponds, canals and swimming pools.
Search your yard in the late evening for them. If you have just moved to
a new neighborhood, ask a neighbor if the toads inhabit the area.

In addition to eating insects, small animals, snakes and vegetation, Bufo
toads are especially fond of pet food. You can avoid attracting toads to
your yard by not leaving bowls of dog or cat food down on the ground.
If you live in an area inhabited by Bufo toads, you need to be especially
careful. Direct supervision while your pet is outside is crucial and may
prevent a tragedy. If you have a fenced-in yard you can make it harder
for the toads to get through the links by putting chicken-wire fencing
along the bottom edge.

Learning to recognize and minimizing the risk of Bufo toads living in
and around your yard are the best ways to prevent your dog from being
poisoned. But knowing what to do in case of an emergency is the most
important factor in helping your pet to survive. Rinsing the mouth out
with large amounts of water is the single most important step you can
take. It will remove excess poison and may actually prevent a minor
intoxication from progressing into a life-threatening one. Next, call
ahead to your veterinarian’s office to confirm that a doctor is present, and
then calmly and safely transport your pet to the facility.
Speardiver Gear
Old 11-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #2  
Senior Member
sdeisen's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The South
Posts: 2,868

when i was younger i had a rhodesian ridgeback that would go after the bufo toads several times a week. he never learned,, id here him hack a few times and routinely jsut go out to the yard and get the hose and wash his mouth out,, it never killed him. but he was big
Old 11-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #3  
LunkerBuster's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Miami/ftlauderdale
Posts: 6,688

i kill these with my blowgun all the time at my old apt where there was a yard...first dart would hold em. second one done...pull out darts and throw toad in trash...keeps my dog safe and secure
Old 11-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #4  
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Carolina,Puerto Rico
Posts: 599

Now if you ''would smear the tip of the dart on the toad's poison.......''
Old 11-18-2009, 09:12 PM   #5  
.Emesis Member.
LOMartin's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South East Florida
Posts: 359

A female can lay 60,000eggs a year.

Also from this site. No ill affects have been found from eating cane toad legs.
Who wants to try it???


.Larry O M. . .
Old 11-18-2009, 11:09 PM   #6  
Naturally Aspirated
seaweed's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hollywood
Posts: 817

My cousins dog died from biting a toad, English Bulldog. Same thing happened with the foaming mouth and all.
Davie Peguero
Old 11-19-2009, 08:46 AM   #7  
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 675

Ese sapo se parece a Groganicon
Old 11-19-2009, 12:46 PM   #8  
LunkerBuster's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Miami/ftlauderdale
Posts: 6,688

Originally Posted by psychobilly View Post
Now if you ''would smear the tip of the dart on the toad's poison.......''
i have thought about that...my buddy told me once that i should keep those darts seperate incase i ever wanted to shoot something with the poison...not only could i never imagine wanting to do that, it seems likely that i would forget which ones they were and thus not a good idea... I do wipe the dart with ISO after wards to keep the poison from getting anywhere it isn't supposed to be

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

2016 Spearfishing World