New Proposal About to Take Effect !!!!!!!!!

• I am passing this along to you guys. Some of you already know about it but they are collecting signatures and I figured the more the better. After all it is going to affect US in particular.

"New proposal about to take effect that could ban spearfishing in Biscayne National Park, need your help right away"

explanation as follows;

The South Florida Free divers club seeks your support on a very important matter that affects the spear fishing and the diving community of South Florida. The National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior (NPS) is developing a new fisheries management plan for Biscayne National Park.

Our club is very much in favor of protecting and preserving the natural resources and the marine life contained in the park’s waters, and historically has participated in many fisheries events to help the resources, but as a whole, we feel that the plan has been discriminatory and unfair towards the sport of spear fishing in particular.

Several NPS meetings have taken place and we have very little time (October 6) is the deadline before this could become another restriction.

Other ways we feel that would contribute are:

1) Mandatory boating license to operate a motor vessel in the park:

This would help in reducing the number of boating accidents, damage to marine life and less dependence on law enforcement.

As a frequent diver, we constantly witness the lack of diver flag awareness and good boating practices.

2) Mandatory training on fishing regulations:

Anyone with a fishing license can catch a fish, many people lack the knowledge about fish identification, legal size/quantity, etc. Proper training would help in reducing the decline in fish populations of many species.

3) More effective law enforcement:

Perhaps the most critical and important of all. Most of the time, the enforcement occurs at the dock and not on the water, like it was said in one of the meetings, “You don’t see a hunter shooting a buffalo inside Yellow Stone National Park ”. Key Biscayne National Park is a park and should have similar enforcement

4) Commercial fishing inside park waters:

Shrimp trawlers, lobster traps and other commercial fishing devices cause extensive damage to the sea grass and reef and impact juvenile specimens that depend on these areas to survive. This should be reduced or completely banned.

The proposed Alternatives 2, 3, 4, & 5 lack the data to support targeting spearfishing as the solution. Fisheries management data as pertains to spear fishing methods is needed; Scuba versus apnea. Trigger vs. sling. Fisheries data as compares spearfishing to line fishing to commercial harvesting (traps, drag nets, other).

The proposal to protect fisheries by limiting the fisheries method of spearfishing is lacking the data to indicate the impact on the desired fisheries (i.e., groupers and snappers) from spearfishing versus other methods; line, or commercial methods.

The proposed overview of Alternatives does not take into consideration the impact of each method to fisheries; To determine what method has the greatest impact to target fish near (or below) the minimum size; To determine which method has the greatest impact to species selectivity; To determine what method most impacts maims and mortally injures fish not boated. To determine what method had the greatest by-catch kill. To determine what method has the greatest overall impact to overfish.

The alternatives proposed (Alternatives 2, 3, 4, & 5) all target spearfishing with no support in the date. Besides, isn’t easier to enforce alternatives that treat each boat the same? Wouldn’t it be easier to tie up to a boat and simply count the number and size as limited rather than try and prove the location and method taken?

We would like to scrap Alternatives 2, 3, 4, & 5 as these are discriminatory against spear fisherman without the necessary date to support these alternatives

Please visit today the comments section of NPS and send your comments online as soon as possible:

http://parkplanning.nps.gov/commentForm.cfm?parkID=353&projectID=23587&documentId=25004

• I am trying to work with those who are setting this up and the most important first step is to let it be known that we are against this...I will be posting smaple letters here and on SB along with contact info for state and local representatives...getting the politicians involved is our best hope since no one elects the NPS folks, they for some reason dont care about what the citizens think.

please dont be complacent guys...this is a big deal that effects us all

i like to spear fish

• FISHERMEN NEED THE NRA

Spearos have NEVER won in the past using the above techniques
    Why continue to use methods that have FAILED in the past?
    Just search the threads to verify this truth.

Dont get me wrong, I will write letters, go to meetings (and get told to please sit down), and contribute money but these methods have FAILED in the past.
    Are YOU willing to risk using the SAME methods here?

We are sportsmen and women just like other hunters. WE NEED THE NRA

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited 2 times, last by hau ().

• Hau, I agree that these methods might not be sufficient, but they are at least a starting point...I urge everyone to forwrd the CONCERNED CITIZEN letter in the new letter thread to everyone they know, this is not just about our rights, it is about bad lawmaking.....
    the more people who make noise the better and this might get non sportsmen and women too.

guys...it only takes a second to copy this letter and email it to all of these guys...please send these letters to your friends and families to have them do the same

http://spearfishing.world/spea…e-proposal.html#post17142

i like to spear fish

Edited once, last by LunkerBuster ().

• Good job Adrian and Judah, Let's continue the way we planned LunkerBuster, we are in synch and need the solidarity and commitment, will continue our progress and touch bases. Austins diving center is also on this and I am in contact with them, the more the merrier

• I have the Jewish High holidays this weekend and have a lot of family in town....i am going to walk my neighborhood with many copies of the concerned citizen's letter printed to give to anyone who wnats to talk to me "about the future of our oceans" or about "bad lawmaking that is being proposed" i will be trying both strategies as I go door to door.

this is just another way to find support. I will be targeting houses that have boats :)

i like to spear fish

• well i have always known that my mouth was my strongest muscle...those of you who know me know this is most likely true....i went to about 45 houses this afternoon and had some very interesting conversations with a lot if folks...i hopped on the old 21 speed and I went looking for any kind of marine decor (lighthouse or dolphin mailboxes, boat in the yard, shells by the front door..etc) and I spoke with a lot of folks who were surprisingly down to listen...best parts were the few H&L guys who knew about the prop and supported it....until they talked to me...they all saw how it is either needed or not and how if there should be a closure then they are doing harm tot he fishery by harvesting...one of the guys even wants to go diving w me hahaha

the point is, if we all just talk to 10 people, that will be a significant number of people.

I printed 25 copies of the letter and I gave them all away, a few folks wanted a few and a few said they'd be making copies...this is not too hard to get a small group of people concerned.

"Never doubt that a small group of commited citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -
    Margaret Mead

i like to spear fish