Giving away spearfishing locations

• the closest thing we have to that on the down and over here are the beach cams,, ive never seen a cali beach cam posted. but i imagine theyd exist, especially for surfers

yeah they do, I have seen them at the HOLISTER store here in miami, they have them there on some big screen with surfers and its live lol

• How does that mesh?

I am near Laguna, I will try to help you with Vis and conditions.

Cheers, Don

Okay. I'll read that as don't post regional conditions. Well then, can somebody clue me in to how to use the PM function on this site? I can't find it.

• Stephan, you can now use the pm function.

Diving conditions around Miami are unpredictable. The one key thing for me is calm seas, this info I can get from the beach cams. Regional conditions reports such as visibility have limited value because things can change throughout the day. Fish movement is evident from the catch pics. This is why I've never considered conditions reports so important to withhold as locations. The conditions report is only good for a short time anyways. The trick is how to provide a helpful conditions report if you want to, without giving out too specific a location. Since I'm not at all familiar with California diving locations, I'm going to leave it up to you guys to figure out how to do so. I think we're a small enough group that within a short time everyone knows who tends to dive which area, so if that person posts a report you already have an idea which area it pertains to, and you can confirm with a pm if you're planning a trip based on this information.

• Well there's going to be even less spots to go to after the MLPA closures are passed in California. Saying the name of a city could denote as small as a 1-2 mile stretch of shoreline to fish from. I know if I was the dictator of all, I'd probably ban naming cities and reefs from the internet as it pertained to dive reports.

But however it turns out I'm sure this place will be a lot better than the other forums. When they say, "Go to this spot the fish are thick." I cringe a little every time I read a thread like that, since it took me years to figure out I needed to go to those spots.

• I'm open to this kind of input. The future moderators of the California section, who will be in tune with your local issues, will be in a position to educate and enforce rules we establish to protect this information.

• makes you wonder what a person is thinking when they type those words

on the determining conditions note the only thing ii ever look at before deciding rather or not to load up the truck is wind speed. although if there has been a crazy east wind all week it usually takes a day for the water to clear up once the wind has died down

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• the first thing i was referring to is about when spearstuff said "he cringes when he sees people type go here the fish are thick" and i was just agreeing. abut conditions im saying that the only thing that ive noticed affects visability (consitently) is wind.. like if we have 3 or 4 days of 14 mph east wind chances are the water is silty and green.. but if its 2mph out of the west like in the winter things are crystal.. this obviously doesnt take into account run off from the ports or anything like that.. but a lot of the time im pretty confident of what the waters gonna look like before i ever get in it.

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Appropriate conditions for fishing are garnered by a multistep process here in my location in the Philippines. Vague as per policy of the forum I will identify my spot as the China Sea. First I look out the window to see if the local fishermen are on their bamboo rafts. If they are not I check the wind, look for white caps, and wave height. I can assess the clarity of the water from my vantage point by looking down from the dune we reside upon to see if the reef is visible and the color of the water. Then I ignore all those indicators because I want to go anyway. Finally I ask my mother-in-law and wife if I can go.

When I am not sleeping, I'm Spearfishing.
    My Aeris 10 only records 99 dives.
    I use them all every day the China Sea will admit me.

• Appropriate conditions for fishing are garnered by a multistep process here in my location in the Philippines. Vague as per policy of the forum I will identify my spot as the China Sea. First I look out the window to see if the local fishermen are on their bamboo rafts. If they are not I check the wind, look for white caps, and wave height. I can assess the clarity of the water from my vantage point by looking down from the dune we reside upon to see if the reef is visible and the color of the water. Then I ignore all those indicators because I want to go anyway. Finally I ask my mother-in-law and wife if I can go.

Dugay na nagistar ka sa Pilipinas....balon mo eh. :D

• Nice. Right up in Typhoon Alley. Do you speak Ilocano?
    I lived in Iloilo for 10 years and Boracay for a year. Coming to visit again in August.
    I"ll be diving and hunting off the southwest tip of Panay. Mabuhay.