Pantoja's accident

• This is a great thread. It's been a few years, so how do you feel now Sergio? Did the injury leave any lasting effects? How long was it before you were diving deep again?

I bet you guys think of this often. Sergio has some good friends. Any thoughts since then?

• It took Sergio about a year to fully recuperate physically for diving, at least apparently.. he's not the complaining sort, and he's back to diving his normal depths. This accident finally made him change with regards to safety. Until that point I was the only one insisting on certain safety precautions. My buddies would call me the boat nazi. Sergio never did because he's a good friend. But he also never took time to tell guys what to do to ensure things are done safely. Now I see a subtle difference, he is less likely to disregard a possible safety hazard, and if I point it out he'll back me up. That's just how I see it, like I said it's a subtle difference from before.

• Thats a serious accident. I'm glad all is well. Perhaps some horizontal 4 inch or larger PVC pipe with a bungee and rubber on the plastic to protect the gun and hold it in would be a good way to transport the guns?

• well , the first time i got in the water was 8 months after the accident and i didn't really dive. i was just swimming around and watchin the other guys get lobster and stuff. i can't describe the feeling of frustration . beeing in the water ready to do everything but knowing that if i do my lung could collapse again and start all over. a few months later i was cautious but diving again. the thought of it is always present , and it's not helpfull sometimes , but overall i'm feeling great. good things came out of it though , a good story to tell and i'm kind of more carefull now.

• I don't even know you, Sergio, and I'm happy to hear you're doing so good (kudos on your patience)... I can only imagine how Dan, Alan and the rest of the guys (ie. your friends) that were THERE feel about this. It still IS a big deal and that's probably why Dan left this thread open.

I'm sure the diver that put the gun in the bucket with the spear-tip pointing up is still having a hard time forgiving himself (if at all). It was a mistake. All humans are fallible.

I see Dan's a peer-checker and it's good to peer-check and peer-coach each other when it comes to safety. We all need it from time to time, especially when it comes in a spirit of caring and an attitude of helpfulness. It's simply about minimizing the potential for mistakes.

Overconfidence, time pressure, distraction/interruption, multiple tasks, miscommunication, peer pressure (yes), off normal conditions, mental stress and others make for a lot of "TRAPs" for a mistake to happen.

I'm not directing any of this to Sergio or anyone in particular, but to anyone that thinks it might be helpful.
    I'm on a job that's kind-of critical in nature and thought I'd pass along a little of what they teach that applies:

Be aware when things "don't seem right" and pursue an answer as to why. A skill we're learning is to self-check before and during performance of any activity where mis-performance could cause bad things to happen:
    1.STOP WHEN UNSURE. Eliminate distractions and focus on what you're about to do.
    2.THINK: With a questioning attitude, consider the "what if's" prior to taking any action or making a decision. Ask, "What's the worst that could happen?" Foresee consequences. Assume nothing.
    3.Act: Acting could also include asking for advice if you're still unsure. That'd be effective communication and 70% of all "events" begin with mis-communication.
    4.Review what happened (in your mind, at the very least).

I know the above sounds a little over the top/geekish (and I summarized), but it can and does work quickly with practice. Error elimination skills like the above are in use by nuclear power plants, NASA and other critical industries where mistakes can be, well... a big deal. I just figure this could apply to spearfishing, just as it does to being a Ranger, Delta, SEAL, etc. I like what they're teaching because it's a mindset of continuous improvement. I like you guys, timing is coincidental, so I figure I'd pass some of this along and say something. :) Any thoughts, especially from experience?

Edited once, last by 75th: spelling ().

• For me the process is a little different:
    1. I see a beer cap with the sharp edge pointing up lying on the boat deck.
    2. A heat flash goes through my head and the word "assholes" resonates.
    3. For a split second I consider picking it up, then decide against it.
    4. Next thought is that if when I find out who tossed the cap and shove it up his ass, he'll be much less likely to do it again. On second thought yelling at him will suffice.
    5. Although I know from experience that guys who do such things are careless ~`~`~`~`ers who I probably don't care to dive with, there are others in the middle who I don't want to put in an uncomfortable position, so I try to stay calm and explain the obvious.
    6. Boat nazi about sums it up but I don't care. I've seen accidents and I'd rather be in one piece than be the nice guy.

• Thank goodness for you, you megalomaniac :D
    I'm surprised to have never heard this story come up the few times I dove with you guys, it must of been not long after the incident.

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• dan, your boat, your feet, your right to not get F'ed up by someone elses rudeness of just lack of thought.

accountability is so important and todays' society seems to hate it. I choose my friends and my dive partners in large part because of it...if someone else cares about the value of their Name and their Word, I can trust that person

i like to spear fish