Rob Allen new shafts. Very poor quality

• Well, I have to say that I had a 120 Tuna with the old black shaft and closed muzzle and loved it... 3 years using every weekend it without any regrets. Paid +100 times in fish.

Bad day the one I decided to trade it. :(

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Hmmm. I don't think that it's case hardened. When I welded the tab on Dan's shaft, the heat burned the coating and left a chalky yellowish residue. I have welded hardened gears before, and they left no such residue, presumably because case hardening infuses such a small amount of carbon, nitrogen, or whatever, that there isn't enough to burn and produce any noticeable residue. Case hardening also would provide no corrosion protection.

I didn't think it through - about the lack of corrosion protection from case hardening. Sn Man, take a look at the photo, you should see where the galvanization (in my mind) has worn off. This shaft is <2months old. The coating is slightly better midshaft, but just as bad at the other end, where the sear engages.

• Marco, with regards to the new controversy on the RA shaft thread on SB; It amazes me how people can talk out of their ass. There are at least three guys on that thread who stated adamantly that every part of the omer guns is made in Italy. I know for a fact that omer shafts are not made in Italy. omer and omer in the US both buy shafts from the same supplier where I will be buying the shafts for my store. They are great shafts and are not made in Italy.

• Well, and I insist: I didn't meant to speak bad about Omer....

I just don't but Omer anymore. Wach out with the shafts, the new "America" shaft that come with the Caymans will bend at the first "decent" fish. Personal experience. ;)

Marco Melis

Edited once, last by Marco ().

• Bending shafts is such a personal observation when it's coming from someone esle ;) There needs to be a standard test for this sort of thing. It shouldn't be that difficult to set up; a constant distance between two supports and weight applied to the shaft in the center.

With regards to other omer stuff; I use the abyss masks, I have two, and I'm happy with them. I also used omer pockets and found them to be the best pockets on the market. I use different make pockets now that are equal in quality but cheaper.

• Well, abiss mask is an old design (Sporasub Samuray copy) and is good for the ones that like small masks. Millenium footpockets have been "redesigned" 3 times now. They tend to break.
    Most "new generation" Omer gear is poorly made in China.
    I bent an "America" shaft with a 6 pound cuda...

And I have NOTHING against Chinese people. ;)

Marco Melis

• You're right about it being very similar to the Samurai mask. I used a Samurai elite (mirrored lenses) for a few years and switched to Abyss exclusive (also mirrored lenses) because of the advances they made in reducing the darkening effect in the mirrored masks. I also have an Abyss mask with clear lenses for poor visibility days.

Marco, does the abyss mask fit your face well? Which is the larger mask that you use?

• Marco, does the abyss mask fit your face well? Which is the larger mask that you use?

I don't have an abyss. I have a Samurai and it fits well but I prefer a Sporasub Sniper. That's the one I use most. I don't like small masks.

I can sacrify a little bit of internal volume to get more pheripherial vision. Anyway, I inhale the air remaining in the mask while ascending.

Marco Melis

• I prefer a Sporasub Sniper. That's the one I use most. I don't like small masks.

Marco, I have some questions about the mask here http://spearfishing.world/divi…r/241-masks.html#post3157

I inhale the air remaining in the mask while ascending.

And some questions about this here http://spearfishing.world/brea…om-the-mask.html#post3155

• Bending shafts is such a personal observation when it's coming from someone esle ;) There needs to be a standard test for this sort of thing. It shouldn't be that difficult to set up; a constant distance between two supports and weight applied to the shaft in the center.

There is a "test". Generally speaking a every meterial has a noted yield strength. This is how much stress a material can take before permanently deforming. The shafts with a higher yield strength will be less prone to bending but more prone to snapping.

This all depends on the specific heat treatment given to the shaft. If you are ordering shafts from the manufacturer they might provide this info.

Davie Peguero

• There is a pretty good correlation between hardness, and ultimate tensile strength. A hand-held hardness tester could then be used as a portable and non-destructive way to compare shafts. Pricey though.

Here's the problem with simply applying a weight between two centers. All normal steels, at least within the range we're talking about, have nearly the same "modulus of elasticity". That means that they will stretch (or bend) about the same amount under a given load. Spring steels, however, will allow you to continue adding more load and will bend FURTHER before they yield and take a permanent set.

If you want to measure the stress at which a metal will yield, you have to pull it harder and harder and note the point at which it gives.

• If you want to measure the stress at which a metal will yield, you have to pull it harder and harder and note the point at which it gives.

This is what I had in mind from the beginning. Hang a weight off the center, take it off and see if the shaft is straight. Increase the weight and repeat until the shaft acquires a bend.

• I found out you can bend a shaft by swinging it and cutting the swing short abruptly. The weight of the shaft and the momentum will make it want to continue in an arc and it will bend. I found this out after I was curious how one big fish just shook and the shaft bent without any pressure on it from another object or the line. So I duplicated the effect at home. This was with a Riffe stainless steel shaft. I'll try it tomorrow with an RA shaft.

This is the test I want to do :D http://spearfishing.world/3196-post20.html