Minus 15 miles offshore

• I've always wondered... what kind of meat do hogfish have? Can anyone relate it to a fish we have out here on the west coast?

btw Nice hog!

• Very white and flaky. PITA to cut through the scales to fillet. There was a time when I didn't like hog fish because the flesh is so light, but I got used to it.

Interesting hog Matt, doesn't look too deep in the body.

• I've always wondered... what kind of meat do hogfish have? Can anyone relate it to a fish we have out here on the west coast?

btw Nice hog!

Probably more similar to sheephead than anything else, seeing as how they're both wrasses. But then again the Mexican hogfish in the Sea of Cortez are related wrasses but the meat is noticably different (firmer IMO).

Very nice fish, especially for where you were. Congrats. I'd love to shoot a Fla hogfish one day soon. What are conditions like in March usually?

Alex

• Nice! I love how the Gulf Coast has such an abundance of Hogs. Especially in close. There just isn't that amount of pressure on them, and all the SCUBA guys run past the shallow stuff to get to 50'. Congrats!

• Probably more similar to sheephead than anything else, seeing as how they're both wrasses. But then again the Mexican hogfish in the Sea of Cortez are related wrasses but the meat is noticably different (firmer IMO).

Very nice fish, especially for where you were. Congrats. I'd love to shoot a Fla hogfish one day soon. What are conditions like in March usually?

Nice Hog! Fish are still pretty thick as were just coming out of winter. However, the conditions get much better. Calmer seas and clearer water.

Nice Matt. How cold was it?

54 all the way up to a balmy 57 in the shallow, stone crab spots.

I'd love to shoot a Fla hogfish one day soon. What are conditions like in March usually?

Windy and murky (pretty much throughout Florida in March). On the plus side though, that's probably the best time of year to find fish if you can get out and see them.

• Nice fish. Between Tampa and Clearwater, I hear there are a lot of hogfish. Also, I hear that you have to go far far out to get into deep water. I was wondering how close to shore hogfish can be found in decent numbers? Also, what would the water depth average at 1 mile out? 3 miles? Thanks.

• Nice fish. Between Tampa and Clearwater, I hear there are a lot of hogfish. Also, I hear that you have to go far far out to get into deep water. I was wondering how close to shore hogfish can be found in decent numbers? Also, what would the water depth average at 1 mile out? 3 miles? Thanks.

You usually wont be able to have very good viz 1 mile out. The water there is a lot different than on the east coast. Average depth 1 mile out of Clearwater is about 20ft. 3 miles out, 22ft lol I hit a lot of the public numbers in 35ft and they're about 7-9miles out. And yes there are a lot of hogfish.

• I won't beat around the bush. I have over 20 years of freediving / spearfishing experience, but I live in the Atlanta, GA area. No ocean, It sucks !!!!! No big boat !!!!
    I need to find some spearfishing guys or gals who have room on the boat for 1 more, diving in Southwest coast of Florida somewhere.. I would be using a pole spear. Prefer shallow water, but I am open. Thanks.

• Ben Choi, thanks for the response. How is close in water vis in May June? Thanks

• Stupid hogs works for me. I have been away from diving for a long time, training (swimming) now with mask, snorkel and fins to get "ocean ready" by May. I used to love to shoot hogfish and can barely wait to start doing that again. The dumber the better, lol