Vis report 10/15/11 - amazing

• I called Gettinggrouper this AM to see if he still wanted to run out with me to drop some stone crab traps, and maybe, just maybe freedive a bit for the all elusive endangered Gag grouper.

His response:"Its blowing like a somebitch here at my house. I've got my gear packed, but I recommend we don't go."

I say I've got to drop these traps, and if its miserable, we'll turn around. OK.

So I pick a little ledge in 22fsw about 3 miles outside Honeymoon island. Its calm in the intercoastal and quickly builds to 2-3's outside in the Gulf. Its been blowing hard all week so I expected to see muddy water in shallow. But as we worked offshore, the water turned from brownish to a dark green/gray. I swore I could almost see color breaks on the bottom.

We got to the ledge, dropped my 2 traps, and anchored up. Ken splashes first and says the vis is great, he can see the ledge from the surface. SWEET!! My gills have been dried up now for a few weeks and I've been dying to get wet freediving.

I hop in to the chilly 76 degree water, I'll be bringing my 3mm next trip for sure. The water was crystal clear with a fine particulate in the column. I could seriously make out fish shapes swimming on the bottom!!

First ledge, I shoot a 10+lb gag running away from the ledge, and Ken nails a nice hog. Then Ken's sinuses started acting up. So we ran down wind a mile or so to another super secret ledge.

I didn't think anyone would believe the vis, or that we even ventured out in the victory at sea, so I broke out the camera to take some pics. The first pic is from the surface in 28fsw. I managed 2 more hogs and we headed back home. The brown snouter I shot I spotted from the surface, I love seeing that black and white male hog swimming below!

And it felt so good to get in the water again finally. Might just brave it again tomorrow. Sure is nice to have a catamaran for these conditions.

C

• Nice pics Chuck. Back in the mid 1970's my uncle was a commercial stone crabber out of Tampa. I would spend a few weeks out of the year with him running from roughly Egmont up to that Hog Island area. Probably the first real freediving/snorkeling I did outside the swimming pool.