vero beach

• I'm wondering if anyone has any experience diving this area. I'm probably heading up there next week to visit a friend who shore dives the area and claims to see big fish and monster cobia but he doesn't have the internet and I've never seen pics :rolleyes1:
    anyways I'm expecting crap viz but I'd like to know how far out the reefs are up there, Ill have the yak strapped to my truck as usual

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• I dove that area several times, I'd love to get out there more, but it is half way between Sebastian and Ft. Pierce Inlets and usually a 12 mile hike north or south depending on where you launch. Nevertheless, the place holds fish, if you can see 'em. I'll try to find a point or two to PM you to give you a point of reference, I'll see if any are near shore. I remember diving a spot that was likely about the distance of the 3rd reef down south and it had some fish, albeit with about 5-10' viz. Some deeper ledges hold monster mangroves.

Expect plenty of sheepshead, lobsters, spanish maks, barely legal gags and mangroves. You may even run into a cobia or a bull, so be careful. It is the Treasure Coast and Bulls are par for the course.

• well I'm in vero and the winds kickin,, maybe next time, thanks billy

As a cool sidenote my friend that lives here works at a place that grows out cobia and he has pens holding them from larval size, six inches, and grown up to over 40lbs, as well as pompano and permit.. its amazing I would post pics but cant expose the proprietary method :cool2:

• so finally did this thing,, viz was crap (but great by their standards, and thecamera makes it look much less hazy than it was) and i was never able to get comfortable. Shot a bunch of sheepshead but never had that big fish i was hoping for move through. Treasure coast shore diving sure is ominous.