Float Line Vs. Reel

• I think all the opinions you will get here will be for freediving. Do scuba hunters even use floats or reels? I'm not sure what they use. If I was scuba hunting I'd try a leash on the gun with a loop over my wrist.

For starters it's not just about the float line but float as well. At times you can get away with a small float that will be just enough to keep your gun and a decent size fish from sinking. I look for the maximum flotation possible at the same time keeping the drag minimal. Remember that it's a law in some SE Florida counties that if you're, what is it 300ft?, away from a boat with a flag you must have a dive flag. When beach diving the float will double as a place to keep the fish and of course a required flag. Many people use a modified boogie board for this. Since in most cases you're gonna have a float it follows that you'll be using a float line.

• I've actually got something like that, but it wont be much use if a fish starts pulling seeing that it'll get knocked over.

I got a nice thick floating innertube, shoved a 5 gallon bucket in the middle of in, epoxyed the bucket in, and duck taped a dive flag to the side of the bucket. I tether it to my weight belt so I can just throw fish is the bucket and keep diving, and not worry about being a swimming chum slick.

• Most times a floatline is good. It gets in the way if everyone is using a floatline. It sucks when something is dragging on you line and you look up to see that it is someone elses float tangled with yours. It also catches on the boat making you have to turn back and undo it.

I use a reel when vis is good and diving on a wreck or structure less than 60 fsw or drifting. Basically any situation in which you can substitue your float for a boat.

Davie Peguero

• I never get tangles in my own float line. The only foul ups occur with other peoples float lines. This happens for a few reasons. First people insist on getting a fancy tube style float line. This kind of float line is unnecessarily thick and doesn't handle or coil up well. Consequently people who use it don't use a spool and let the full length of the float line drag behind them. The float line is usually purchased at maximum length for the possibility of deep diving. It is then 120' long. Users of this line will then let the full length trail behind them even when diving in 30'. This is inconsiderate IMO if you're diving in close proximity to other divers. All for what? To have a fancy float line that is more expensive and doesn't perform any better than a regular polypropylene rope.

The other thing that float line users (especially tube style float line users) fail to do is gather up and coil the float line while on the surface in between dives. The benefits coiling the float line are; When it's time for the next dive you let loose the coiled float line and you have zero drag on your descent as opposed to dragging your float on the surface the whole distance. You eliminate a long trailing float line which can cause foul ups with fellow divers. The motions of gathering up the float line into a coil are relaxing and provide a rhythm for your breath up which times and prepares you for the next dive.

There is one exception that I learned of where a reel is a better option and that is diving in California kelp. A float would get hung up in the kelp when diving through it. But even for this a float line with a very small streamlined float is a viable option.

I haven't even gotten into all the scenarios where a float line will save your or your buddies life, or at least your gun. Just think of how lucky Steve Bennet and Cameron were that by fluke the spear on that one dive was attached to a downrigger.

• Float line all the way. The main reason is safety. With a floatline you are able to attach a float or buoy to it. The advantages of this are twofold: Better vis in rough waters and a plataform to rest or to carry the speared fishes. A couple of months ago, we were (freediving) hunting the pacific side of Todos Santos for groupers.( We landed a huge load of 30 pounders by the way)
    The pinnacles are in the open sea, the currents are heavy and to top it off, the place is loaded with sharks. I was swiming in the surface when i heard a strenous cry, and i went full speed to lend a hand, it was the teenager son of the pangero who got a nasty cramp in the leg. I was able to pull the float and handed it to him, and then gave him assistance while the panga was on to recover him. Should i used a reel, and then we both had been probably in a dangerous situation. Floatline, float combo all the way...

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• My float of choice is the Riffe inflatable, it has minimum drag, stands very high in rough seas, and you can attach a lot of things to it. I have a R.A., Hippo Float, and a rigid R.A. as well, those are great for fight huge fishes, but the riffe is best for overall use. I have an Omer Shardana that is great for shallow water, small to medium fishes hunting from coast. It has a lot of drag once you have some decent fish hanging out, and is heavy as hell out of the water, the good thing about it, is that you may rest there and it carries a heap of equipment and other stuff. Is designed to carry a couple of spearguns, fishes an a bunch of equipment. Riffe´s inflatable only downside is the obscene price.

• By the way, i carry on my float a signal mirror, a flare gun with flares, a whistle and extra flag, I am a pussy when it comes to safety, a bunch of divers had been lost their guts around here. I take no chances. Besides i always carry a spare whistle in my neck, just in case ...

• I have always used float lines with the Riffe float all my life. But i do understand that when you have a few spearos in the water getting tangle is a mess. I have very little practice with the reel but i love it in places from 20' to 50'. From there on i really like better the floatline. more secure and like state before for safe reasons it helps to assist in the surface if you get tired. But also can be a mess when boats get close to the boat. i got a friend that got pulled by a boat that got to damn close and pull the line and drag him for a bit before the float line broke. But at the mean time. damage the boat motor:D. So he was able to ID the boat and report him. he was closer than the 300' and plus he has a flag on his float. with the reel this will never happen. And for sure dragging a flot with a full string in it. is no fun. against a current. it feel like you are pulling a cow.:D

• I'm a reel guy and it works fine in all conditions here in FL, but after getting rushed by a big bull I'm really starting to like the idea of having the stringer away from me, as well as the additional safety of having a dive flag & float attached.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Autocross Junkie

• I'm a reel guy and it works fine in all conditions here in FL, but after getting rushed by a big bull I'm really starting to like the idea of having the stringer away from me, as well as the additional safety of having a dive flag & float attached.

:agree1: no one want to be rush :shark4: that is why is smart to have a floatline with float away with the bait.:D

• RA composite reel for me. But at the same I also use what I feel is the ultimate float, my 16f yak. I have a 150f poly anchor line on the yak and therefore am almost always within 150f of my yak with flag. I swim holding my 3lb anchor, see a fish or good spot and descend very easy with the anchor, then shoot the fish, let go of the anchor and surface. I pull my fish up fast and by that time have drifted down current very close to the yak and simply drop the fish into my fish dry bag with ice in the yak. My 16f yak with a full size [22x24in] dive flag is easier to spot by a boater, gets me out there at 5mph per GPS

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited 4 times, last by hau ().

• RA composite reel for me. But at the same I also use what I feel is the ultimate float, my 16f yak. I have a 150f poly anchor line on the yak and therefore am almost always within 150f of my yak with flag. I swim holding my 3lb anchor, see a fish or good spot and descend very easy with the anchor, then shoot the fish, let go of the anchor and surface. I pull my fish up fast and by that time have drifted down current very close to the yak and simply drop the fish into my fish dry bag with ice in the yak. My 16f yak with a full size [22x24in] dive flag is easier to spot by a boater, gets me out there at 5mph per GPS

watching this process take place is truly awesome..the man is a well oiled machine..

i like to spear fish

• LunkerBuster---Thanks. It is just a system I have worked out over the years that is safe, easy and convenient for me.

How did the new dive knife work out for you?
    Let me know if I can help.

Spearos---Scott and I are going to Florida Freedivers this morning if anyone needs anything picked up please to let us know by noon or so.

• I love the knife... i did the mods you showed me and I am very pleased...I was also inspired to try something and made myself a small backup ikijimi for the calf mount.

now all i need is to get my ass back in the water.

i like to spear fish

• Jeez, how long would it take to get control of a fish using a reel line, subdue the fish, get it off the spear with all that crap floating around you, then reel in the line making sure it goes on evenly.. and load. It seems to me that it would take three times longer than to be ready for a second shot with a gun/float rig. Maybe that's why Don Paul has an over under.

:D