JBL spearguns

• Nice youtube toptuna, I got my first Elite about 6 months ago and love it. I've been shooting JBL's for 40 years and I've killed a pile of fish with em, Scuba and snorkel. Never had a reason to change, it does everything I ask it to. I just shot a nice trevalley about 3 hrs. ago.
    Bo

• it was not me who shot that fish but thought i would add it to the JBL thread. Dave Plossel shot it.

BOBBERRYFISHCARVINGS.COM

• The long lived "Swimaster-Voit" and now "JBL" trigger mechanism is shown here. Note the sear lever and trigger pivot pins are set very close together and that spacing limits the length of the sear lever tail. In fact the sear lever looks like it does not have a tail as such, but it still works the same way as for example an "Undersee" mech, but this mech has very different geometry and that unfortunately offers inferior gearing to the "Undersee" type mech.

The innards of the "Swimaster Spearfisherman Magnum" are also shown for comparison, minus the "rabbit ears" on the forward projecting arm. The "JBL" sear lever does have a forward projecting arm, but in that mech it controls the line release lever on the RHS of the grip.

A visit to the JBL spare parts page shows that some changes have been implemented to the trigger and sear lever of the alloy handle guns as can be seen in the following photos. The parts are circled in red to highlight the modifications which are to improve the cam lock action of the trigger mechanism, but I cannot say how effective they are without actually examining a set instead of looking at these enlarged images where photography angles play a part in the detail appearance of the shapes.