Cinco dive report-OR- killing more beer than fish

• So Shallow Runner and I and 9 other dudes headed to Marathoon for the Cinco weekend.

there were mixed skill levels among the group but spirits were ery high...and as the spirits were consumed, we got even higher :)

Friday found us with 4-6ft seas at a nice period which made it do-able but the vis was not cooperating and we managed only a cuda, a chub and a schoolmaster. Nothing amazing but I was pleased given the conditions. We grabbed another snapper H&L on our way in and drank about 90 beers and a bottle of rum.

Saturday the wind had died and the ocean laid down to 1-2, we were all very excited about diving and planned to work our way in from the thunderbolt since some guys wanted to blow a tank there.

We arrived at the bolt only to find one of the guys BC had blown and the dive was scratched. we worked our way in and out from 30fsw to 10fsw back to 35 and back to 15 and we never found any vis..there was a wall of green crap that came out of the gulf and went to the edge of the patch reefs and the reef line itself was still blown up from the weeks prior. My buddy Rob took a thick 24" black and Shawn bagged a hog.

we cooked up all the fish and drank twice as much that night.

all in all I had a great trip and made a few friends in the process, also I converted 9 guys into cuda fans

we also got to see a sweet loggerhead covered in barnacles over the Bolt...he was at least 6 ft long and looked to be a very wise creature.

thanks to everyone for the advice and tips beforehand...hoping for better viz next tiem

i like to spear fish

• Glad to see you guys killed some stuff. Sorry about the vis though. We had similar problems up here...

• yeah, the stupid mutton curse lives on...

Japs, we wanted to hitthe bolt, but the bouy we got was the north end of the wreck and the current was sweeping up from the south. when we started working the flasher and chum it was pretty clear all our efforts were going away from the wreck...by the time we figured that all out, the other bouys were occupied and we bailed.

learn for next time

i like to spear fish

• Awesome trip for sure man! I have a feeling the current on the bolt would have been ripping at depth. I was blown off that wreck once.

Lots of short grouper and a ton of little hogs; not dinner (yet) but a good sign for the stocks in that area.

Next year I hope to have the newer guys a little more seasoned so we can hit some deeper stuff.

May be heading out with Ryan in a week or so around PSL if you are down.

• I feel ya on the wallet thing man for sure....but this would be way on the cheap. I'll keep ya posted for sure.