Cobias and Grouper - Keys Trip - [VIDEO]

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q-47lx3SjM&fmt=22 for HD quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q-47lx3SjM&fmt=18 for slower computers

Went out with Davie, and Jim to the keys. Kris met up with us the last day. Found a great spot loaded with Blacks. It was FREEZING! Kris shot a huge mutton. Davie got a nice size octopus. I have never seen one caught before. Great time with awesome friends! :thumbsup2:

Kings
    Cobias
    Mangroves
    AJs
    Yellowjacks
    Groupers
    Hogfish
    Porgy
    Mutton
    Octopus

Here are a few pictures. Didn't take pics of all the fish.

• Good stuff Harry and crew. That was some beautiful bottom in the vid, how deep?

So Jim, we talk and you say "I want to shoot a cobe" and a couple of days later you go out and shoot yourself a big one :) I've been wanting to taste another cobe for a couple of years now, save me a little piece. I was watching the shot on the cobe and it reminded me of those times where the fish is big and strong and you shoot it and the fish barely reacts. You know it doesn't even realize it's in trouble yet and are waiting for all hell to break loose which it does. Those were some very nice spots, congrats.

• It's better to watch the video on YouTube itself. You get a much bigger screen and you can see the groupers that greekdiver skips over.

• Good stuff Harry and crew. That was some beautiful bottom in the vid, how deep?

So Jim, we talk and you say "I want to shoot a cobe" and a couple of days later you go out and shoot yourself a big one :) I've been wanting to taste another cobe for a couple of years now, save me a little piece. I was watching the shot on the cobe and it reminded me of those times where the fish is big and strong and you shoot it and the fish barely reacts. You know it doesn't even realize it's in trouble yet and are waiting for all hell to break loose which it does. Those were some very nice spots, congrats.

I'll save you a big piece. That was the highlight of my trip (obviously). First Cobia I've seen too!

Funny story about the Cobia shooting:

Second day of diving and the water has been freezing. 66˚ and the 3mm wasn't really cutting it. Only Davie was putting fish on the boat. We saw a lot of blacks, but they were spooked.

We decide to go to this spot and see what we find. I'm next to Harry but he doesn't really know it. He takes a dive, nothing. I take a dive and only see small snappers. All of a sudden this damned fish swims near me. Scares me for a sec, looked like a shark. I realize that they're Cobia all swimming around the biggest stingray I have ever seen. I see this HUGE one and charge for it. I'm all lined up and almost in range when I see a shaft pop right thru the top of his head! That's what you see in the video, Harry shot "my" fish. :weeping: I'm about 5 ft off the bottom and pick out the second biggest. I hit it just behind the gills, but miss anything vital. I really had to play the line so it wouldn't rip off, that's what you see in the video. Harry didn't know I was there till after he shot the big bastard.

My lenght perception has been way off, I thought that mine was barely legal.

What a great experience though. A 30lb Cobia is nothing to scoff at anyway.

• :D Nice story. But as you know that happen a lot. when your eyes see the big fish i think you dont see around you. so i guess he never saw you aming at it. like you didnt saw him coming down from the top... But hey you still manage the second one. I was wondering when i saw the video where the second one came from.lol..Good timing. Would of beign funny see the fish spear by both of you at the same time. :)

• :D Nice story. But as you know that happen a lot. when your eyes see the big fish i think you dont see around you. so i guess he never saw you aming at it. like you didnt saw him coming down from the top... But hey you still manage the second one. I was wondering when i saw the video where the second one came from.lol..Good timing. Would of beign funny see the fish spear by both of you at the same time. :)

If it was 1 second later, there would have been two spears in that Cobia. I shot the one just above it in the video (I think).

• Sweet vid as usual Harry !

Jim nice story! The mack were missing in action Gulf side Sunday - so we popped over to the Atlantic and hit a wreck in about 40 for a little bit. Hit my first big 'cuda and some hogs. Weather looks iffy this weekend, (except for maybe Friday?) - thinking of possibly hitting the GC autox. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Autocross Junkie

Edited 2 times, last by TurboRon ().

• Congrats on that catch. nice vide/story. wish i could be in the water again soon:(. But by the looks of it wont happen soon.:frustrated1::weeping: Oh well i will keep dreaming

• There were a crap load of Kingfish Ron. I speared 4. They were in schools of 50-100 at all depths.

Davie Peguero