Kayak Spearing in The Keys

• I'm looking to take my kayak down to The Keys to do some spearfishing, but was wondering where I should go. Is there a best place? Are there several? Have you ever kayak spearfished in The Keys? If so, where do you like to go? I'm down for anywhere from Largo to West. Eventually, I'm going to convince my buddy to hitch his boat up to my truck and go for the Marquesas! I can't wait for that!!! In the mean time, I'd love to explore the more accesible keys. Thanks, in advance, for any advice you can give. :thumbsup2:

• Never yaked Fla waters...but it's a way of life in Hawaii and have done plenty in Mex. the boys and I have found great spots and hidden reef where we've speared without another sole or boat in site! Here we were loading up for another trip to Mex...Sea of Cortez.

• South of long key the 3 mile rule doesnt apply. however, everything close gets hit hard.

South of Long Key bridge there is no 3 mile limit on the Atlantic side. However, keep in mind that you probably will get stopped and inspected by: MCSO, FHP, KLPD, FWC, Home Land Security, USCG, Fish Huggers United and a few others I have forgotten. Also, there are protected areas you are not allowed to spear, areas that you are not allowed to even be in, No guns in the state parks, zones where you are not allowed to drop an anchor, etc, etc, etc.
    Oh yea, I forgot. Good luck :D

• South of Long Key bridge there is no 3 mile limit on the Atlantic side. However, keep in mind that you probably will get stopped and inspected by: MCSO, FHP, KLPD, FWC, Home Land Security, USCG, Fish Huggers United and a few others I have forgotten. Also, there are protected areas you are not allowed to spear, areas that you are not allowed to even be in, No guns in the state parks, zones where you are not allowed to drop an anchor, etc, etc, etc.
    Oh yea, I forgot. Good luck :D

I forgot aboutthat... I keep it simple and just get on a boat when i go down there .

• Never yaked Fla waters...but it's a way of life in Hawaii and have done plenty in Mex. the boys and I have found great spots and hidden reef where we've speared without another sole or boat in site! Here we were loading up for another trip to Mex...Sea of Cortez.

Wish we had it that way in florida but its a rare occasion on the east coast.