spearfishing and diving in Miami-need advice and company

• to all Spearos:

Recently joined this community and I am looking for people interested on spear fishing/diving.

I have spearfishing equipment and I am in the process of becoming SCUBA certified.

I own an outboard boat, I would love to learn about new places to spearfish, specially around Miami.

I am interested to hear from anyone that would like to share tips, locations and/or company. I would appreciate to take someone out that would help out sharing some expenses (my motor is a 4-stroke and gas usage is very economical)

Any information on the subject would be appreciated. My e-mail is Leojor_2000@Yahoo.com

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

marine_jor

• marine, most of us are always ready to share and dive anytime , but most of us too prefer freedive. you say you have scuba gear. are you just scuba or do freedive too ?

• Pantoja:

I free dive mostly. I am taking my SCUBA certifiction but don't have SCUBA gear yet, I would like to do free diving and prefer to tag along others that know and practice the sport in my area. My numeber is 305-610-6756, e-mail leojor_2000@yahoo.com, I live 6 miles from Matheson Hammock and keep my boat on a trailer at home.

What reefs/wrecks do ypu fish in that area? how often do you go?

• Marine jor,

I spearfish that area quite often, going out of matheson hammock marina there are quite a few good shallow patch reefs around soldier key that hold fish in the winter. Furthermore the area of triumph reef and a little south of triumph is quite productive. Triumph has some spots in 60-70 that holds blacks and muttons year round. There is a yellow whistle buoy out there. that pretty much is the start of triumph reef, the area is fished by some commercials as well.

Alan

Edited once, last by Alan ().

• we were in the area not long ago and there wasn't a lot of fish , and kind of spooked. but anyways , that area is a lot of fun to dive and it has a lot of structure. there are some cabezos at 30 , but i like the drop off at 60 - 70 . swimm all along it and there's always something to catch. a little shallower there's some rocky bottom and there's schools of small fish here and there that attract big fish sometimes.

• Pargo:

Yes I would appreciate the GPS numbers, My Garmin GPS has a built in chart and I can visualize and locate the area.

Pargo what is your phone #?

thanks,

Jorge