Spearfishing mask which is best?

• This is what makes the best spearfishing mask.

1. It should be a two lens mask. This brings the lenses closer to the eyes and increases the field of vision. Stay away from single lens masks, and 3 or 4 lens masks. The additional lenses increase the mask's internal volume making it more difficult to equalize, do not increase the field of view, and make the mask unnecessarily big and heavy. As a freediver you'll spend much more time in the water than a scuba diver. Over the course of a few hours wearing a heavy mask will take its toll with the additional drag it creates.
    2. The mask should have a relatively low internal volume. It's not necessary to go to the Micromask class masks which have ultra low volume. But definitely stay away from masks geared for scuba, as a rule they are too big.
    3. The mask should have an opaque, usually black skirt. This will prevent sunlight reflecting inside the mask and distracting you.
    4. The mask should seal around your face properly, have a soft skirt. You can only find this out trying the mask on. When you do this, turn your head in different directions and change your facial expression. You should also bring a snorkel and put it in your mouth, it raises the upper lip and will sometimes break the seal if the mask doesn't fit you well. Most people don't have a problem with masks sealing, and are able to use many different masks.
    5. The ultra low volume masks, sometimes referred to as micromasks, will seal properly on much fewer faces.
    6. Masks with reflective lenses will hide your eyes from the fish, in some situations allowing you to get closer. But they have a darkening effect which is a deal breaker for me if I'm diving in anything but crystal clear visibility.
    7. Mask should be light but durable.
    8. A mask that has a unique design and looks great is worth a few extra bucks. If you feel like a stud wearing it the psychosomatic effect may carry over to your hunting :) It's the old "look good, feel good, play good" axiom.

All masks available at Spearfishing Store are quality masks for spearfishing and freediving, you can't go wrong with any of them once they fit. The Speardiver Stealth Mask is a great mask that has all the characteristics I mentioned. It has the additional advantage of a compatible Gopro mount if you ever want to video your dives.

Speardiver Stealth mask

• Unfortunately, the only way to get a true assessment is to try it first hand. The mask is probably the most difficult piece of dive equipment to get "just right". I can't tell you how many I have been through.

• So, I went to the sea and found a store that had loads of spearfishing masks and I eventually got the Omer Alien after trying them all. There was a Cressi that fit me better but my friend had just purchased the last one they had. Thanks for the tips guys !