GoPro settings for dummies

• Hi buddies,

I would like to know how to best set my GoPro 3 Silver for videos.

I don't need more that 720 as I won't make a HD movie. Just want to keep my videos for the future and share them with you.

Keep it simple as I'm "technologically challenged". :rolleyes1::laughing:

Apparently, I have it set as "Wide" because videos look like far away. I don't know...

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Marco there is a bit of debate about exactly which mode is the best. But I think for you 1080p or 720p / Wide / 30fps is the best mode.

720p is already an HD format and it works fine, but 1080p is even more HD. If you record the videos in 1080p they will be available on youtube to everyone in that bigger format and appear more clear for those who want to watch in 1080p HD (this is good for spearfishing videos as the fish are sometimes hard to see) The only downside to this is the movie takes up more space on your hard drive and gopro card.

Wide format works best because using anything less you might miss the action if the camera is not pointed correctly. With wide angle fish appear smaller, but more can be seen.

30fps is the standard framerate for videos. 60fps would allow you to do fancy things like slow motion, but for the sake of keeping it simple and keeping videos smaller 30fps will work fine.

Whatever you have been doing has been working good. Your videos look great on youtube and I can always see you shooting awesome fish in perfect detail :thumbsup2: but 1080p may improve the quality.

• I use 720p medium FOV @60fps (hero3 black edition)

As Dan mentioned, can't see huge difference from 720 to 1080 that justifies the increased file size... keep in mind that youtube and others compress the files

I use the camera on the gun so if i get a fish it's in frame :) Wide has too much distortion for my taste. I used narrow but found it too........ narrow :)

60fps
    it's much more fluid then 30fps.... footage just seems more real. I found the difference to be much more significant vs 30 fps then using 720p or 1080p.
    Why not 120fps then? because if lighting conditions are not optimal, footage get's darker... If each frame is "gathered" in a shorter time interval, less light is "gathered"