Would you use a white snorkel?

• Clear snorkels r nice cause you can tell when the funk starts to grow inside. Hau taught me that

Being somewhat of a country assed biologist, algae culturing shrimp farmer hillbilly....diver.....I would guess that the clearness of the snorkel is the reason for the green funk. A black snorkel will have little to no light penetration and therefore, no chance for photosynthesis....making the green funk. :) and actually, this would probably apply to white ones too.

• Cut open your favorite old black snorkel? Hau and Steve seem to have confirmed the existence of green slime in a clear one. Scrape the inside of the black one and see what's there. Do you have a microscope? Check what's living in both. You may get fungus or bacteria growing in the black one. ...things that don't need light.

Edited once, last by hank ().

• This is not meant as a derail from using a white snorkel.
    I use a clear snorkel because:
    1. Clear is (IMO) THE best UW camo (I use clear snorkel, clear FG fin blades, clear float line, etc)
    2. You can see when there is stuff growing on the inside of the snorkel that can cause a spearo to get respiratory problems. (how many of you clean out the inside of your snorkel?)
    3. You can see that cockroach hiding inside your snorkel BEFORE you put your snorkel in your mouth. :@

IMO, there is a much much better way to locating your dive buddy and SAVING him from a SWB. So as to not cause any more of a derail from Dan's white snorkel question, I will start a new thread about this method, called: SWB Float

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• Ummmmm seriously who cares? Maybe it's a climate thing (us being tropical) but I have my entire life seen charter operations with literally hundreds of sets of gear and myself personally just freshwater rinse and store without ever thinking about it, and never a whiff of a problem (pun intended)

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Ummmmm seriously who cares? Maybe it's a climate thing (us being tropical) but I have my entire life seen charter operations with literally hundreds of sets of gear and myself personally just freshwater rinse and store without ever thinking about it, and never a whiff of a problem (pun intended)

hah I wish I had a camera yesterday. DuQuesnay's snorkel has a clear mouth piece and 4 inches of clear tubing It's probably as old as many of he posters here. Looks nasty. haha But he's healthy.