DIY floatline, hardfloat and reel line resource

• Great resources for diy float line, hard floats and reel line

I have spent a bit of time researching the forums, keeping a log of where I found and bought materials. I have purchased something from all of the below sites wo issue and pricing seemed competitive. I have also included some how to links that where very helpful to me. Thought this info may be helpful for others. Oh, and I have no financial interest in any of these companies. Please add any additions or comments

Craig Float Lines - Kits
    These DIY kits are about as low cost as you can get wo buying bulk components. I have one and very pleased. If you have never made one and dont have lots of supplies collecting dust this is the place to start IMO

Blue Water Pro Spearfishing Float Lines | Abrasion Resistant
    solid stuff, not always the cheapest

Core line and shink tubing
    spectra line ⅛” #1800 $180/600'
    Continental Western - Spectra 12 Strand Single Braid Rope, 600' or 120

spectra line 7/64” #1600 .29/ft
    AmSteel-Blue Dyneema® AS-78 Single Braid | West Marine

Reel line
    q powerline (wong and others uses this) $135/500' #600
    Q Power Line - Bulk

jetset and zing-it throw line (many use as cheaper alternative)1.75 #450 or 2.2mm #650 $.13-.16/ft 1000'roll
    Arborist Throw Lines: Fling-It, Zing-It, DynaGlide & Slick Line

Same price here for 1.75mm
    Spectra Reel Line 1000 FT Spool

Float tubing
    ¼” inside ⅜” outside dia $23/100’
    1/4" ID x 3/8" OD x 1/16" Wall Yellow PVC Tubing | U.S. Plastic Corp.

Hard floats
    spongex bouys Cheap, many sizes
    Spongex BN-3 Marker Buoy, 7" x 15" x 1", White | Redden Marine Supply

one idea
    null-65.jpg Photo by sbsyncro | Photobucket

another beefy setup
    http://spearfishing.world/floa…rge-pelagic-fish-diy.html

How to info

diy floatline how to. the concept here is good but I used different materials...spectra core w long bury splice , better end plugs from craigfloatlines or neptonics, constrictor knots x 3 at each end then shrink tubing cover, no silicone. dont forget to polish end plugs when splicing to spectra.
    DIY FLOATLINE Step-by-Step!!! - Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

knots Fantastic resource!
    Long Bury Splice | How to Splice a hollow braid Rope | Splicing Knots

coil your floatline line w butterfly coil. No more knots
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfvioMwTVUo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFW51YwoLZ8

Bonus
    spear tuning
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I97Vcweicug

good luck
    ken

• Thats a really cool thing you putting up your hard won research :thumbsup2:
    I will share some of what I have found, but i have learned some really cool things from your links! The coiling a rope thing to use on my float lines will be invaluable! Thanks!
    Also really like the pimp your shaft guy, already had the link but nice to have it here.
    Craig is out of business, but another guy bought out his stock and will sell you the surplus, its more expensive than when craig was in business but still the top quality stuff, its where i bought all my bungee and float line stuff a few years ago, both from Craig F.L and the new owner, the new owner tought me how to build a floatline with bungee incorporated, top notch fellah!!!
    All that inner core amsteele stuff isnt cheep and is bulky... But these guys have it at the best price i could find back when i was exploring 7/64" AMSTEEL - Seattle Marine
    These guys take the amsteel down to 1/16 but it aint cheep Samson Amsteel-Blue Dyneema Rope

I use this below for everything now after trying out everything i could get my hands on, I use it as my core line on my float lines and bugees, I use it as my reel line, shooting line... EVERYTHING ;) It doesnt burn your hands when a wahoo takes off at 70mph :@ splices, back braids and joins seamlessly with the same stuff. Lasted me years even shooting around structure. 1.8 mm 1000lb strain... It has a tendency to knot if you let it ball up in the water is the only negative about it. 200' Green Dynaglide | Bishop Company Found this years ago by accident, I see others are catching on and starting to sell it.
    Also their zing it is a better price but i wouldn't trust my fish to it...just saying :)
    These guys are a great resource for floats [url=http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/lobster-buoy-7x15-spongex-20-case-118256/4,5837.html]SPONGEX 7X15 LOBSTER BUOY[/url] anyone looking at bluewater floats should research EVA floats, the material EVA keeps its full buoyancy sometimes up to hundreds of feet below the water depending on the model. I have refined my system of floats as time has progressed and should make time to update my thread.
    Only thing I would add is the inflatable floats if taken down by big game could fail or colapse at great depth, the EVA deep water floats have lots of buoyancy and keeps the buoyancy deep enough to bring back anything I would imagine.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Dude G,
    Thanks for expanding w your experience.

Really enjoy your past posts picks. Ive been thinking of picking your brain and others re extended sailing spearo / family trip down your way. I will start a separate thread once I get all my ideas together.

• I use this below for everything now after trying out everything i could get my hands on, I use it as my core line on my float lines and bugees, I use it as my reel line, shooting line... EVERYTHING ;) It doesnt burn your hands when a wahoo takes off at 70mph :@ splices, back braids and joins seamlessly with the same stuff. Lasted me years even shooting around structure. 1.8 mm 1000lb strain... It has a tendency to knot if you let it ball up in the water is the only negative about it. 200' Green Dynaglide | Bishop Company Found this years ago by accident, I see others are catching on and starting to sell it.

Dude George, I gotta thank you for this resource! I found out about dynaglide through one of your other posts, and I ordered 2*200 ft spools to try it out. Easily the best handling (soft to touch), super abrasion resistant and most durable dyneema I've tried!

The ONLY thing that may be a drawback is that it's slightly waxy (increasing its abrasion resistance), which makes it a little slippery when used as wishbones. Other than that, it's PERFECT!:thumbsup2: