Rob Allen 11L Foam Blown Hard Float

• Hey gents,

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience using this float with big reef fish like AJ's and how big a fish this float can handle. I mainly use it for boat diving mid-deep water in 50-100'.

Relax & Go Spearfishing

• No experience so probably should shut up ;)
    But having fished a lot with hard floats i have some idea :) .
    That float has taken down major fish and even monsters when used in series. Where you fish sharks are the main problem... So the shark issue is your issue, you dont want a powerful fighting fish like a wounded AJ dragging a float down and all around ringing the dinner bell, you want your fish in your hands ASAP. Soooo I personally would want a more buoyant float to keep more pressure on the fish and not let it take down my float. But everyone who uses them says they are great.
    Just my opinion, I hope someone who fishes your area chimes in with specifics.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I have the Rob Allen 11L float and I like it a lot for the limited yellowtail diving i have done with it here in California. It drags through the water well and I've yet to see it get pulled under water, but that's because the largest fish i have shot with it is also 15-20 pounds.

• This is a buoyancy test I did with the old Rob Allen 11L hard (foam blown) float. Buoyancy is minimal at 21lb in saltwater, but in my experience it's fine for bottom and pelagic fish up to 50lb. The 11L float is now discontinued and the new 12L Rob Allen float replaced it, increase in buoyancy is most likely minimal. The new 12L overblown model is the one I now use. It comes with a ballast ready for a flag. The overblown float will righten itself when turned on its side much better than the regular version, as the new model Rob Allen floats no longer have a round profile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1suSbc9riE

• Sorry, I just realized that I actually have the new 12L model.

Dan,

Is the float in that video foam blown? Also, when you say fish up to 50lbs does that mean they will be able to pull the float down, or will this float mostly stay at the surface for fish up to 50lbs?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Relax & Go Spearfishing

• The float in the video is the old round Rob Allen 11L hard foam blown float with ballast (I included the ballast in the buoyancy calculation).

A 50lb fish that doesn't sound straight down will pull it down a little primarily on the first run and then it will stay on the surface. Remember the fish is dragging the gun too. For bottom fish that hole up normally it's not an issue because they hole up near where you shot it, and the float is already at the surface. I don't have experience diving in 120ft and meeting a grouper up at 80ft.

• I don't have experience diving in 120ft and meeting a grouper up at 80ft.

I meant like AJ's and Cobia, which I would see midwater then shoot and they go nuts for a little. Do you think this float is safe to use with fish like that?

Relax & Go Spearfishing

• Up to 50lb I would use it without fear of losing the gear. You can probably use it to take even bigger fish if you plan the shot, handle the line well and can swim after the fish. But I don't think AJ and cobia tend to sound deep when feeling the pressure of the float. I could be wrong depending on the location.

• I have been using this float for 5 years along with a handful of other floats.
    My observations:
    Positives:
    - Very durable. Mine has been dragged across barnacle covered rocks and even over oysters countless times. Its scratched up but has worked flawlessly.
    - Tows very well.
    - Comes with a counter weight and a flag. I added a lanyard to the flag as I had lost a few over the years.
    - I think it is good value for money
    - It has eventually arrested Yellowtail Kingfish up to 25kg without issue, even when it was taken under 10m it did not lose its shape.

Negatives:
    - The webbing the shark clips attached to are now buggered and I will be buying another float (same type)

I do not use this one when I am blue water hunting. I use inflatables for that. Much softer on the noggin.;)

• I know exactly what you mean, the nylon webbing strap is integral with the old round floats and can't be replaced once it wears out. The new RA floats use a different system of attaching the strap and it's easily replaceable.

• This is a buoyancy test I did with the old Rob Allen 11L hard (foam blown) float. Buoyancy is minimal at 21lb in saltwater, but in my experience it's fine for bottom and pelagic fish up to 50lb. The 11L float is now discontinued and the new 12L Rob Allen float replaced it, increase in buoyancy is most likely minimal. The new 12L overblown model is the one I now use. It comes with a ballast ready for a flag. The overblown float will righten itself when turned on its side much better than the regular version, as the new model Rob Allen floats no longer have a round profile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1suSbc9riE

Hey Dan ,is that a saltwater pool? ☝