Scallop hunting tips write up

• Howdy Everyone,

In this write up I plan to go over some of the tips and tricks I have found useful when scallop diving. Also, I would like to share some general information on scallops. Personally, scallops are one of the best table cuisines we have in our California waters. Free diving for rock scallops in California is probably the most challenging of all diving endeavors. This statement may sound obscure to many; however, for those who have tried this sport know what I mean. In short, it is far from easy to pry them off their perch. Most times an underwater jackhammer would be nice!!!! I have dove for scallops in Southern California and they seem to be easier to pry off and much more abundant. This is just my opinion and not a fact.

Most California divers use SCUBA for the arduous chore of removing the bivalve from their environment. The CFW regulations state that one must use only an abalone iron or a dive knife to remove the rock scallop; however, I believe an underwater jack hammer would be much better as stated before, LOL.

If you have ever tried to remove a rock scallop holding your breath at any depth you must know how incredibly hard it is. SCUBA divers sometimes just slip their knife between the two parts of the shell and clean the scallop leaving the bottom shell attached to the rock. They drop the meat (button) into a sack and continue on the hunt. FYI, keep in mind if using this method and you accidently cut one button into 2 pieces DFW will count that as 2 scallops thus why I prefer taking the complete shell. If the DFW ever does put a size limit on the scallop, then you will have to take the shell for proof. CA DFW regulations state the Legal California limit for a diver is 10 scallops a day and no size limit. Just remember, if you want to take scallops free diving, two things are necessary; stamina and stamina.

Facts about Rock Scallops

Giant Rock Scallops have coarsely ribbed shells called valves. The upper valve is usually scallop-shaped but the lower valve takes the shape of the substrate to which it's attached. The thick, heavy valves are brownish on the outside. Inside, they're pearly white with a dark purple blotch on the central part of the hinge.

Picture provided by Eric Anderson

“The scallop has numerous blue eyes and sensory tentacles around the margin. Juvenile Giant Rock Scallops are unattached and swim by clapping their valves together repeatedly and spurting jets of water outward on either side of the hinge.
    After attaining a diameter of about 1 in. (2.5 cm), the scallop cements its right valve to the rocks and thereafter grows and lives as an attached or sessile organism. Like other bivalves, Giant Rock Scallops filter plankton and tiny organic particles from seawater.”
    Giant Rock Scallop | Oregon Coast Aquarium

Scallop Range and Habitat
    “Rock scallops are common from the Queen Charlotte Islands, British Columbia and all the way to Baja California. They live in rock crevices along exposed outer coast, underneath floats and on pilings in bays from the low intertidal zone to subtidal depths of 164 ft. (50 m).” Giant Rock Scallop | Oregon Coast Aquarium
    Scallops can reach sizes of 10 inches in diameter though usually less than six inches. FYI – The world record is held by California native, Eric Owen. His scallop was recorded at/about 10 5/8 inches And Eric Anderson with a 9 3/4 - 7.5 pound Scallop

Pictures provided by Eric Anderson

Gear Needed and Recommended for Scallop Diving:

1. A CA DFW fishing lic
    2. Your standard free diving gear
    3. Flash light
    4. Abalone/Scallop bar (as per Sport Fish and Game Reg. 29.60)
    5. Float line

Recommended Tips for Scallop Diving.

Here are the tips and tricks I use when I go Scallop diving and I am not saying these are the best tips or the only tips that work but they have worked well for me. The biggest tips I can give you for Scallop diving is watch for the right Ocean conditions and swell. Those are of the utmost importance and a requirement. Meaning you need to have calm conditions, to be able to reach and dive the area’s where scallops like to inhabit. I like a swell that is 4ft or less and minimal wind. Which tends to create a nice lake like conditions and little surge and white water? Scallops are filter feeders so that is why you want to look in areas that have a lot of water movement and surge on most days.
    I look for wash rocks and pinnacles and rock piles. Once I find a nice wash rock I start looking for any under cuts, horizontal running cracks or holes. I usually find all my scallops in those areas. In this you tube video it shows what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK627S4vtUo
    Once I have found a scallop or a crack I want to take my time and look at. I drop my scallop bar or spear gun that is attached to my float line to mark the hole or area. I then take my time and pan my flash light the length of the crack and I make sure to go up and down it a few times. There have been many of time(s) where on the first pass I did not see the scallop till the second or 3rd pass of the crack.

The key is go slow and then go slower don’t rush when your checking those cracks and holes. One of the other things I look for is the orange lips and smile that a scallops makes when opened up.

Pictures provided by friendsoflajollashores.com

Picture provided by monkeyfacenews.typepad.com - Picture provided by www.goldenstateimages.com

Once a scallop is located then becomes the fun part!!!! Some scallops come off by just whacking them with the palm of your hand but most will be an underwater battle to get off. The trick is to find a spot where you can slide the Scallop/ab bar behind the scallop and pry it off. Sometimes I found that instead of prying up like you would on an abalone try twisting/wiggling the bar, I have found that works as well.
    As stated before they can be quite hard at times. That is why I think Scallop diving is one of the hardest endeavors to do as a free diver.
    Well I hope this information was informative and the tips useful. Now you have some tools in your diving skills to get out there and start your own scallop adventures. Words to remember!

These words are worth remembering. To be a successful scallop diver you must possess Dedication, Motivation, Location and remember always dive safe and in safe conditions. Below are some scallops catch pictures to get you going, ENJOY!!!

Written by
    Matt Mattison
    Red Triangle Spearfishing
    NorcalUnderwaterhunters.com

• So true, but the only place on California's north coast with an abundance of scallops in shallow water has to be the Sea Ranch.....a private gated beach community that stops access to 15 to 20 miles of coastline. I could be wrong, but I have dove every access point in the Sonoma /Mendocino county coastline and never saw anything like shown in the video.

First breathe-up... May 1937

• So true, but the only place on California's north coast with an abundance of scallops in shallow water has to be the Sea Ranch.....a private gated beach community that stops access to 15 to 20 miles of coastline. I could be wrong, but I have dove every access point in the Sonoma /Mendocino county coastline and never saw anything like shown in the video.

I find most of all my scallops from public access points, There are several good spots on the sonoma coast. I dont disclose spots but trust me one of the most known and dived spots on the sonoma coast is one of my go to spots for scallops. Then if you go to mendo they are just about on every wash rock. just have to go slow and have the right conditions

• Nice write up. They're one of my favorites too!
    Rock scallops are also common threw out southeast Alaska so that source was a little off.
    I didn't actually realize people measured them and that there was a record for the largest one out there. Guess I'll have to measure the big ones we get from time to time. 9" is the spread of my hand and iv gotten more than a few over the years that were over that. Lots of virgin rocks around hear though! Most people here don't pick much below the tide line.