Letting go of a speargun

• A very sharp beater knife I hope:D. I have ditched my belt twice and never thought twice what was on it or if I'd ever get it back. If I even think things are going down hill I always unlatch so it will slip off.

Cheers, Don

Don i have like 6 belts all rigged, mostly its a mental exercise... i treat my belts and weights as disposable items, knowing I have a spare on the boat and more at home helps me to without thought drop my belt.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I told him once here, and told him again there. If you're going bluewaer where the dept is more than the line in your reel, better attach your gun to a floatline and forget about it. But he still thinks different...

In my country we say "everyone kills the lice his own way"... :rolleyes1:

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Cool, Glad you guys got this story over here.

Since then there's been a lot of discussion, and a lot of others have come forward with things they were not really proud of or happy about but that's how diving is sometimes. It's not always perfect. Stuff happens. Mistakes and poor choices are made. And it turns out a lot of people have let go of guns.

I didn't want to dilute the message of having "Let go" going through all the things I should have done differently. But one other point of learning here has to do with Knives and cutting the lines you are bringing with you into the water. I was holding on to the gun with my left hand. The line was coming out of the reel straight down to the fish. I slashed at the Dyneema Reel line twice. I did not hit the same place on the second cut so it was another fresh cut. My knife had some big and staggered Serrations. It was a Dexter Bait Knife. Almost new, and fairly sharp. But when I tried cutting lines after this here in my shop standing on land it was still surprisingly tough to cut through those lines. In my case I had the option to Let go, but if this had been a Halfhitch around my arm etc.. I'm not sure I would have been able to cut through nearly as easily as I had thought in the past. Every diver should have a good sharp knife. Every diver should take that knife out and give a try cutting some of the lines you might encounter and see how it performs and how it works best, or whether it should be replaced.

Thanks for posting this here too. I hate all this crap. It's terrible that our dive community has to be fractured.

• Agree with everything you said. Everyone needs to pay more attention to their knife choice. I'm going to start carrying two. Lucky me I lost mine today and have a reason to do look for two now :D

Brad

• I've not done much blue water diving. But regarding diving with your buddy, one thing Jake and I always do when diving deeper reef, is one guy pulls the fish up and the other reels the line back onto his buddy's reel as the line comes up.
    The video that showed the guy getting the line wrapped around his glove as the tuna dove deep again scares the shit out of me. I hate line piling up on the surface. Worse than a 30 or 40lb fish diving again, if a 200-300 lb shark grabs your fish and dives, you could be in serious trouble if the line is wrapped around you. They go so fast, I don't think you could even equalise, much less, cut yourself free.

Great info on this thread. Thanks Jon. .

Edited once, last by hank ().

• Jon - thanks for sharing your story. That was damn close. I've been following the back and forth here and at Chris's forum. I think all of us need to read your story (very well expressed and articulated) then take time to reflect on it and the life saving message about knives especially. I had never tested my knife - and don't often carry one.

Thanks - you have made a lot of us think!

• In cave diving you learn to carry multiple knives. Not only should you have a knife, but you must be able to reach it. If you are using cable many knives won't cut it, so I have gotten in the habit of carrying a line cutter on my weight belt. It cuts on the pull, so is much easier to cut a line under tension.

• Might be the only scenario where Mako out performs its competitors.

You made me spill my drink!:laughing3::laughing3::laughing3:

My friend Sterling had to let go of a Daryl Wong speargun because of a reel tangle on an amberjack. fortunately it was on a rig and the fish became tangled. His wife (better diver than anyone in our group) retrieved the gun later.