making a spear

• I was searching in fabrication processes and get ideas want to share here regarding making a spears ,cost will be from labor charges only and not from materials here the way I think its how they do ,may be there is some tricks but the idea is same

get either 17-4 or 15-5 alloy in normal condition
    weld or machine what you want on it
    straightness the bar within the tolerance ranges
    heat treat your spear in the accurate temperature (u search for it )
    get your spear ready

is it simple like that ?

• Yes, that's exactly how it is done.
    You can laser cut the shark fins and place them further aft that most commercial options - giving you longer band stretch. I think Pathos and perhaps Dan's spears (judging from pics) are some of the ones with the fins placed the furthest back.
    Not everyone heat treats the barbs supposedly, but you can do that, too.

• Haha, yeah - I guess it does sound simple cuz it sounds like the OP has access to all the tools and facilities needed:-)

I know an engineer in China who works in a power plant, I think. He makes spears in 17/4ph on a CNC lathe, welds them and then drops them in with other parts when they need heat treatment. Job done pretty much;-)
    Still a bit crude design wise but they are straight and functional. I am thinking of having him make a few with smaller and more aft-placed fins.
    Price is in upper 20s (USD) so affordable, too.

• If it 45 rock hardness i ll buy from him also ,some country you can get labor charge very low compared to usa ,so its cheaper to fabricate rather than import from outside ,by the way what the material used by rabitech or other african seller its quench tempered steel but which alloy ?

• If it 45 rock hardness i ll buy from him also ,some country you can get labor charge very low compared to usa ,so its cheaper to fabricate rather than import from outside ,by the way what the material used by rabitech or other african seller its quench tempered steel but which alloy ?

I am, sadly, fairly sure he is not going to start a production run of these or wants to deal with the hassle of shipping out of China:-(. He just makes a few for his friends a few times a year.
    The "South African" shafts are known to be carbon steel but no idea which exactly it is. But there is an extra step in that process as they are also coated - as carbon steel corrodes much easier.

• Material types, there are many choices, but market cost and size availability is part of it vs picking some rare type off of the list.

There are times I would like metric sizes, but cost is expensive.

For heat treatment process, you can find that on specification sheets. ( missing one, let me know) A quality Oven with low temperature gradients is important. I monitor 3 different zones for proper temperature in my rod furnace, but just control off of one. I got mine in a salvage bone yard and just had to make my own controls.

Many choices for carbon steel, I cut a lot of 1018, but this is not the type you want for a shaft.

I would check with local plating company for adding a coating, chrome or nickel I think.