Cost sharing experience from one Spero to the Next Hello

• Hello everyone and thank-you for accepting my registration. I would like to extend and opportunity for like minded spearfishermen aboard my 40 foot Sailboat that I have moored in Abaco Bahamas at this time. I have been a liveaboard for near 10 years and sailing these beautiful islands for about 8 years. I am currently set up to invite up to 3 people aboard for a cost share type of experience. I have been freedive/primartive spearing for 5 years all over the Bahamas. I sail my boat out once a year and stay for 3-6 months. I have decided to open up my home to members of our community. I believe that it's much too selfish to be out here without sharing these sights and adventures with others. I have brought over with me a 17 foot center console that we have been spearing from. I know the reefs/people and places. I also do a fair bit of Audio/Visual and don't mind being your safety diver. This is one way I get to offset my cost of being out here and you get to enjoy these experiences without the worry/hassle/cost of all that goes along with getting out here. The international airport close by the boat is MHH for Marsh Harbour. Please feel free to call/txt or PM no question is a dumb question. I don't mind explaining to you what i have to offer and am easy going. my cell is 850-612-7025

While this is an old vid my wife and I shot a while ago it still kinda gives you an idea of a typical day in Long Island Bahamas while at anchor. Now we don't dive like this any longer so please be easy on critique.
    http://youtu.be/eLkhzgGavj8

• I should add that I'm planning to join Matt on his boat in the Bahamas this year, but it's still a few months away. I recommended he join this forum, since I think you guys will like him and he will like you.

• Well that's a nice endorsement :) Welcome to the forum.

So what do you think Matt, pole spear or sling for the Bahamas?

Hey thanks guys
    While i am an avid slinger the pole spears the guys are now building are where its at for bigger fish.

My thought was, initially, that i would become a better diver and my aim would improve if i had to chase down my fish after. I have lost few shafts in relation to how many fish i've brought home. So chasing down a fish ultimately teaches me to have a better aim and longer breath hold, otherwise i might loose my gear.

But now that my bottom times are starting to improve i find that i'm seeing bigger fish, and bigger fish call for better gear. I have been using a Christ Pole spear from a friend of mine and am adjusting. My wife bought a nice Gatku and she really digs it. So i am maturing into the poles pear realm. There is also the added safety of the float lines attached to the pole.

I have much to learn with the bigger gear.

Matty

• I have lost few shafts in relation to how many fish i've brought home.

Sounds like you're not using a shooting line for your sling shafts. IMO the spear attached to the sling and the sling to a float line offers more range, durability and is significantly more economical than a quality polespear.

Nice vids.

• Sounds like you're not using a shooting line for your sling shafts. IMO the spear attached to the sling and the sling to a float line offers more range, durability and is significantly more economical than a quality polespear.

Dan, do you have any pics of a sling with shooting line setup? Have never seen that before and am trying to decide whether I go with sling or polespear for the Bahamas trip. As a former bowhunter, I'm thinking a sling might be more intuitive for me.

• See this thread http://spearfishing.world/spea…igging-shooting-line.html. Just measure your draw and put the hole in the spear a little ahead of the sling. For me the Koah side sling is the best sling Koah Side Sling MX. It already has an attachment point for the shooting line at the bottom of the handle. Also I have something similar to tennis elbow in my sling holding arm, and I feel pain when I stretch a conventional sling. The side sling requires extending the arm in a different way and I get no pain with it.

• Sounds like you're not using a shooting line for your sling shafts. IMO the spear attached to the sling and the sling to a float line offers more range, durability and is significantly more economical than a quality pole spear.

Nice vids.

yes your correct. A while ago a friend gave me one of the Headhunter slings. the one with the shafts and the real with the little ring welded to the slider thing on the shaft. the first time i tried it the ring jammed and the ring eventually broke off. So i got rid of it and went back to shooting free. Maybe the gear has improved. but i like the feeling of being unencumbered at times in relation to lines and all. I'd like to see someone in action with a sling real and line. I'm usually the only one in the water with a sling these days.

• See this thread http://spearfishing.world/spea…igging-shooting-line.html. Just measure your draw and put the hole in the spear a little ahead of the sling. For me the Koah side sling is the best sling Koah Side Sling MX. It already has an attachment point for the shooting line at the bottom of the handle. Also I have something similar to tennis elbow in my sling holding arm, and I feel pain when I stretch a conventional sling. The side sling requires extending the arm in a different way and I get no pain with it.

https://spearfishing.store/382…ox/koah-side-sling-mx.jpg

https://spearfishing.world/image/Sling03.jpg

nice looks interesting