PoleSpears? Thinking of getting one.

• Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of getting a PoleSpear but I need some help. I've been spearfishing with a speargun for more than 20 years but never tried a PoleSpear. Could someone explain the pros/cons, the different techniques (anything that is different from using a speargun), things to look for when buying a PoleSpear, etc?

I heard that you need to get up closer to fish, is this true? Do any of you use resting hooks? Not even sure you are supposed to have the spear "loaded" or if this is done just when you need to shoot.

For info I am looking at getting a Neritic but I am open to suggestions. I need to travel my plane to hunt so it needs to fit in a suitcase (I'd like to use it when traveling light w/out my SporTube). I hunt along rocky shores/reefs.

Thank you!

• Pole spearing is a great way to practice your stalking technique and breath hold. I started out spearfishing in Hawaii (as many do) with a 3 pronged pole spear. Today, I generally only use this over a speargun when targeting small pan frying fish, where going though the motions of collecting your shaft, wrapping your shooting line, and loading your bands (as well as smashing your spear tip into rocks) is just not worth it.

In some places (The Bahamas, parts of Japan...i believe) it is ILLEGAL to posses a speargun, so pole-spearing and slinging is the only option.

Pole spearing can be a way to challenge a spearo. (Yes you must get closer)

It can be compared to terrestrial hunting with archery equipment rather than a fire arm, or hunting with a traditional bow rather than a compound bow.

The shot is much slower and the range is generally the length of the spear if even that.

Depending on what youre hunting I have a few suggestions.

-smaller fish (<1 to 3 lbs) you can use a general graphite or aluminum spear with a 3 prong (paralizer style) spear tip (kmart special, kawabunga)

-small/medium fish (4 to 10 lbs) you may want a more robust carbon-fiber or aluminum spear (evolve, gatku..., neritic bantam)

-medium/large (anything over 20) youll want a spear designed to take the abuse you and the fish you spear may put it through. (Neritic big blue, billfish republic, headhunter)

I personally cant see myself spending money on some of these polespears (some are big $$$.....for a pointy stick) But i guess if a speargun wasnt an option you'd have no choice.

Hope this helps

dive safe

Josh

• Since Josh answered what I was leading to in my first post, I'll just say that since I don't normally target pan size fish, I would choose the cheapest sling over the most expensive polespear.

Performance difference wise I would compare speargun vs polespear to bow and arrow vs hand thrown spear :)