Replacing cable on Mori slip tip

• I'm looking for some help on how to replace the cable on a Mori slip tip. Specifically, how to get the round ball in/out of the slot of the tip. I cannot figure out a way that does not involve a hammer and punch, and I'm concerned that method will open the slot to where it does not retain the ball properly. I've done the usual Google and youtube searches, but the only results are for spectra replacement.

• That's the one, Dan. Nothing is separated or stuck. Though it looks like the ball will just push through the hole in the back, it will not. The ball is slightly larger in diameter than the hole. On the other side is a slot that the cable recesses into, which is also narrower than the ball.

• I dont have experience with cable mori slip tips. Cable slip tips ive used, the ball crimp is able to pass through the opening.

You may be able to cool the slip tip using dry ice, allowing the metal to contract possibly giving the ball crimp enough room to push through the opening.

I dont think widening the hole will make the tip perform any differently, it will just allow the ball to move freely in and out of the tip, not really a big deal unless you think it may compromise the integrity of the tips strength.

• Here's Mori's tel. number 310-628-8082, you'll get the best answer. Please update the thread with how to do it.

I'd start by cutting off the cable as close to the ball as possible, and trying to knock it out from the slot side. It could only have gone in one way. Maybe it was pressure fitted. If you cut off the cable close enough and the ball rotates freely inside the hole, you may be able to touch it to a grinder and shave off some material allowing it to come out easier.

If you fudge it up maybe get a new Speardiver Slip Tip :)

slip-tip.jpg

• Thanks Wayne for posting this for me... it really is in there properly... I have used practically all other tips on the market Dan, NOTHING is a Mori, although Jon at Ulusub is hinting at tips from him would be soon, we shall see.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• What makes the Mori sliptip different and better? I mean it's a simple concept that's been around a while :)

Amazing! We are such clever creatures.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I called Mori today, and he confirmed the correct method to remove the old cable is to use a small punch that is narrower than the slot and hammer to knock the ball out. He recommended putting in a vise with the slot facing up and drive the ball down through the hole with the punch. To put the new ball and cable in, just use the vise to press the ball into the hole. The cable will recess into the slot so it does not get damaged while pressing the ball in from the back side.