Which spearfishing mask do you use?

• While I am sure that is feasible, I replaced the old mask with a new one and had the same results. I was really bummed because I loved the Naida mask. I acutally like the Alien more, now that I have spent some quality time with it. I still wish it were available with an amber lens.

• I have only used Omer Aliens, it's fine so why switch. I have had no fogging problems whatsoever, after scrubbing with an ultrasonic toothbrush and toothpaste.

However recently the mask has been hurting my glabella after a couple hours of diving.

Davie Peguero

• Now - Omer Alien = great all around mask!
    AQA Mantis LV = great fit, good vision, a little on the bulky side
    Cressi Big Eyes - great mask for the price

I would love to try the Technisub and I believe that Beuchat calls it the micromask, but I would not trim my eyebrows over it.

• Thought i would chime in on the Sphera mask for a bit. I use a micromask and as we know it is a great mask, but, I also have the aqua lung Sphera mask which many freedivers use and is a mask of choice by the Performance Freediving crew which is when I was turned on to it. A few things about the mask, very low volume a bit more than the micromask I believe which is great for freediving and spearfishing, it is a plastic lens so there is no fogging, no needing to clean and scrub out with toothpaste or anything which is real nice, it has a good size nose piece for easy clearing as well.
    The dislikes by those who try them on are the slight distortion out of the corner of your eyes due to the curved lens, at first I thought the same thing...this sucks...but after giving it ample time it was no longer any problem and I actually started to really like the mask. When you look straight ahead it is fine like all masks and it is only when you look to the corner of your eye left or right does it "bend" only a little the image, but, not to any extreme point I must say. I started to realize that this extra width of the lens were it bends does a few things which can be beneficial for a spearo.
    The first thing is fit comfortably to your face during deep descent, that extra little curve bends to your face while descending and there is absolutely no mask squeeze at all, very nice for me. The 2nd thing is that it acts almost like a clear silicone mask in that it allows you to catch a glimpse of something out of the corner of your eye which can be helpful to spot a fish, it does this without letting in alot of light like a clear mask frame does because the mask itself is black. The 3rd thing is the sheer lightweight of the mask, after a few minutes you completely forget the mask is on your face, it is very lightweight and comfortable. The 4th and final thing is no fogging at all, because it is plastic lense (yes it can scratch easily, but, keep it in the plastic case when done and your golden) there is no need for toothpaste, lighter or anything of the sort to keep it from defogging and because it is plastic there is no magnification of the lens!!! what fish you see or objects you see is the actual size underwater, this can be very handy for eyeing up certain size fish, we have all shot a fish and then upon surfacing realize, crap, it's not really the size I thought it was, this mask eliminates that problem. I know several very good spearos here and in North Carolina that use it for spearing and love it for these same reasons.

This is my little review of the Sphera mask, may not be to everyones liking, but, that is what I have learned by using it for some time now, I now have both the micro and the sphera which do a great job, the Sphera is much less money though, around $55.

Take care all.

• Omer Aries 45 - For shallow waters and bluewater hunting. (Larger field of vision)

Omer Aries 39 - All rounder

Aqualung Micromask - Deeper dives (Very good relation between the field of vision and the internal volume)

"The heart is but the beach beside the sea that is the world..."

• AquaLung Technisub Micromask, Omer Alien mimetic, Tusa Platina, Picasso Gioccia.:thumbsup2:

Follow the river and you'll get to the sea...

• I use the Omer Abyss and the Sporasub Samuri...They are more or less the same mask.

Chris

"The Sea that calls things unto her calls me, and I must embark." - Kahlil Gibran - The Prophet

• I had an Omer Alien, too small for my face.
    I bought an aqua mantis, frame is a bit too bulky for my taste and its my backup mask.
    I ended up keeping a cheap $25 mask, i think its a seadive. Fits me perfect and is very comfortable.

I saw one at the expo that bleutec had on display, went to buy it and he said to wait till the end of the show. He forgot i had spoken for it and sold it. The mask was very low volume and frameless, i really wanted to try it out. I found it on ebay, so i might try it soon. This is what it looks like and it costs less than $30 shipped.

• I use a Sporasub Mystic:

I love it. Great mask, low volume, and extremely comfortable. Almost feels like I don't have a mask on. I bought it of course with freediving in mind, but it's become my main mask for scuba anyways. For me, the most comfortable mask I've tried on, and I've tried on quite a few.

I also have an Atomic Frameless:

Also a nice mask, quite comfortable, great field of view. However, it's got a bit highter volume, so I don't think I'll use it for freediving. It's not quite as comfy as the Sporasub because the skirt isn't as soft of a material, but the seal is better than my Sporasub. The Sporasub can leak a little bit if I have a big smile from something, which I haven't noticed with the Atomic.

Finally, I have a Tusa Visualator that I don't use because I like the other two masks WAY more, but I found it on the bottom, so I'm not going to complain.