Omer discontinue their pneumatic guns

• One way to remember to swing the line release lever back on these "Airbalete" family guns is to apply the safety lever after a shot and the victim has been collected and dispatched. This is because the safety will not move fully forwards to be "on" until the trigger is swung forwards, and that requires the line release lever swung back. You can then muzzle load the gun, complete the line wraps and when ready to resume hunting switch the safety lever "off" by swinging it back to lie horizontally. Personally I don’t like the safety on these guns, but here you can put it to good use.

• Helpful

I was looking at the piston nose which has a ring of small hemispherical bumps on the face of the piston. Mares was one of the first to do this and I think their purpose is to align the piston as it presses on the shock absorber anvil by the bumps sitting just inside the bore hole (although in my original Cyrano those bumps are positioned well inside the hole, so there they seem to do nothing). Therefore the ring of bumps may have a piston centralizing function.

Thus it was with some surprise that I noticed the similar bumps on the Omer/Sporasub piston nose actually sit on the face of the shock absorber, not inside the bore hole, which means a high contact pressure when the bumps slam into the shock absorber face. This would seem to be a recipe for cracking pistons and shock absorbers until those bumps flatten off as it concentrates the impact on small contact areas. I noted that the “Air XII” had what looked like a spare shock absorber in the bag that contained the hand loader and the gap between piston and shock absorber could be easily seen by looking through the relief ports as the piston was sitting on the bumps!

Due to the STC vacuum type muzzle on the "One Air" it is not easy to see the piston nose even with the front end cap unscrewed, but there the piston seems to be sitting on the front ring of bumps. Now this allows water to drain that would otherwise be trapped between the anvil face and front piston seal by the piston pressing hard on the anvil, but I doubt that is why it was done this way.

• If you have problems with the small sliding pin and its "O" rings that cross the gun's pressure boundary in order to operate the release mechanism then you can purchase this part as a sub-assembly. The item is referred to as the "Main Cork" and seems to be a better proposition than levering out the brass inserts that hold the "O" rings in place if you need to replace them as most likely the chrome plating on the pin would be damaged unless you were very careful. Of course if the plated pin is already corroded then you can replace the original part and just put it aside in case you may need it. With the guns discontinued I would advise not throwing anything away.

Main Cork.jpg
    Main Cork fitted R.jpg

• Pete: those guns were a total fail. If I had one, I would use it until it lasts and then buy something else.

But thank you for all the information you share here.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Well you are right, they made a mess of it as the Airbalete should have had a bulged tank at the rear near the handle and not up front behind the muzzle. They had to add air volume somewhere as otherwise the tank volume was too small. Then they made a handle out of the sort of plastic that seems to be found on most Asian sourced guns which is hard and dull with a sort of surface bloom and feels cheap (like the stuff used on plastic toys) with a tiny line release finger poking out of one side. After the initial hoopla and enhanced publicity photos the real thing was a disappointment. Then the quality which seemed a bit below par was explained by the guns coming out of Taiwan, something Omer had been keen to keep under their hat.