Wetsuit + socks + gloves thickness

• Hello everyone! New to the game here.

I hope to get some thickness of gear advice for main season 20-26 C, 68- 79F. A few thoughts, what is the lowest temp to go with 3,5mm suit? What are the cons of using a 5mm suit in the main season? Pros for 5mm suit is extending the season into winter/spring if I want, but if 5mm will be annoying in the main season that's a big con.

Another important topic is socks and gloves, how thin can you go for these temps? At what temp is the coated textile gloves enough?

If someone have experience with Cressis apnea suit, ultrastretch gloves, metallite socks any feedback would be of intrest. Their stuff looks well made and affordable.

• Welcome to the forum. It would help to know where you're diving to answer your questions.

First thing you need to know is that when we're talking wetsuits and spearfishing it's always about open cell wetsuits. Double lined scuba suits for our purposes are obsolete.

Here are some general guidelines for open cell wetsuits. Keep in mind that people are different when it comes to experiencing cold. It depends on what you’re acclimated to and your physical constitution.

1. Rashguard - 80° F (26° C) and up

2. 1.5mm double lined suit - 77° F (25° C) to 80° F (26° C)

3. 3mm open cell suit - 71° F (22° C) to 77° F (25° C)

4. 5mm open cell suit - 59° F (15° C) to 71° F (22° C)

5. 7mm open cell suit - 45° F (7° C) to 59° F (15° C)

6. 9mm open cell suit - 33° F (1° C) to 45° F (7° C)

When unsure which wetsuit to get consider that you’ll always be able to use the thinner suit at some point. So if it’s really close between a 5mm and a 7mm, I would start with a 5mm because it’s a good investment no matter what.

Check out Speardiver wetsuits they'e high quality and competitively priced, see reviews here Spearfishing wetsuits by Speardiver