Couple recent trips

• There will definately be lots of cooking going on there. We'll get a good grill and put it on the deck upstairs, along with the kitchen, crawfish cooker, fryer, etc.

The thinking behind the luan was that we could get away with just caulking the joints and painting it. Didn't work out too well - the caulk is a mess. Looks like we will be sanding and/or using sheetrock mud etc. Oh well, you live and learn.

Next step is scoring and staining the upstairs concrete floors.

• I'm thinking that you wanted a comfortable place that has all the basic amenities but cheap to construct and not fancy. By the looks of it you picked land that's not developed and was probably economical to buy. Wouldn't it be cool if you started a trend and it would catch on? If it's at a strategic location for fishing maybe a fishing city could sprout, a convenience store, a bar, a whore house :D This could be the next Las Vegas!

Kidding aside a great endeavor Chad.

• There will definately be lots of cooking going on there. We'll get a good grill and put it on the deck upstairs, along with the kitchen, crawfish cooker, fryer, etc.

The thinking behind the luan was that we could get away with just caulking the joints and painting it. Didn't work out too well - the caulk is a mess. Looks like we will be sanding and/or using sheetrock mud etc. Oh well, you live and learn.

Next step is scoring and staining the upstairs concrete floors.

Are you going to tape the joints and use drywall mud or skim the whole thing?

• The joint issue isn't my area, so I'm pretty much staying out of the discussion. One of the other guy's had his wife working for days on the caulk job. I'm glad that I'm not in his shoes having to tell her that there's still lots more work to do in that area.

This area was a community before Katrina, but it took about 10 feet of water and none of the structures were built to handle it. The property that we bought had a house on it before the storm, after the storm it was just a slab.

How does skimming the whole thing work?

• Allot of work!!! You make a softer mix of drywall mud(add some water) and go over everything. Let dry and sand smooth.
    My question about the taping is because if you just mud the abutment of luans, it'll eventually crack. You would need to tape it like traditional drywall. Also, I would use fibered tape instead of the paper kind. You could also prime the whole thing and spray texture over it. If you want something super durable( a little more expensive than regular texture) use something like Duraplex/Plexture. It's a acrylic or Teflon base texture that is hard as hell. Also, it's one of the only products that mold/mildew wont grow on. I believe Sherwin Williams has a similar product, and so do a few other companies. We use Triarc's products(maker of Plexture/Duraplex) allot in Hotels and it's great. Comes in different colors premixed.

• Thanks for the sound advice, but it looks like one of the other partners is going to send one of his work crews down next week and have them tape, float, texture and paint the whole thing. Sounds good to me!

• Thanks for the sound advice, but it looks like one of the other partners is going to send one of his work crews down next week and have them tape, float, texture and paint the whole thing. Sounds good to me!

Hey Chad,
    I would still put some kind of primer before skimming the walls. Just a thought... Mud directly over the luan isn't a very good idea. It will work for a while, but it will eventually flake/crack off.

• Griswold you were diving with Cam that day you shot the bulls correct? what size gun did you hit him with? nice looking Bull for sure.

• i am totally blown away by the fish in the first post and floored by this amazinf fishing "camp" that looks like a palace to me.

please keep us updated on the build progress so we can be jealous :)

my fishing camp is my car parked by the beach lol

i like to spear fish

• I shot it with my little 2 band 52" inside the rig reel gun. By far the ugliest gun I own, but probably the one that sees the most use.

I'll try to find some more current camp pictures. It is basically done.