Catalina Report 7/24

• Well... ran over to the island sat morning. South wind was on it early making for a bumpy crossing, but nothing to bad. Ran at a nice pace of 26mph on the cat which is much faster then most of my friends boats that are much bigger :D.

Hit the usual spots at isthmus with great viz and lots of bait just no sightings of game fish. Ran from there down to the east end hitting numerous spots. Worked the east end for nada. Dove the backside for a bit, but the wind was up and viz was still very murky from the past weeks south swell. All in all it felt very dead and completely different then last weekend. Decided to run Allllllll the way back to eagle reef. Dove it...everything looked perfect and with the evening high tide we thought it just might turn on. Gave it a quick lap, but it was too early. Sitting on anchor killing time before the evening dive we watch as a 30+' pleasure cruiser literally came flying right through the f*in kelp maybe 20 yds from us? Unbelievable was all we could think of. Looked the (husband) was standing on the bow fiddle with something while the wife was driving this boat and just blazed right through the kelp bed. About 30 minutes prior the kelp was underwater and we were just contemplating heading over there to give it a check now that the kelp was coming up with the current slacking off. Island was just way to crowded yesterday. After that we were over it. Wind started hooting and we headed home. Ride home sucked.

Its been so long, I forgot what it felt like to get skunked. On the other hand, I got to just rinse the boat and take a shower instead of filleting and bagging fish for 2 hours. So I guess thats the trade off...

• Thanks for the report Mike. I know the feeling of heading home and thinking wow, I'm glad I don't have to cut up and package fish after a long day of diving.

Over seabass hunting....