wood enclosed track finishing question

• I've searched through the forum a bit and can't quite find an answer. I'm making an enclosed wooden track and want to epoxy coat the entire gun. Should I cut the track and then epoxy coat it and then cut the track again? Will enough epoxy penetrate the wood this way to keep it protected? I'm thinking this will work but am unsure, perhaps I'm overthinking things.

• Generally people who make an enclosed track gun and plan on using an epoxy finish will use the poured track method. What you described is basically the same only the shape of the bit is different. If you do it your way and you put a thin coat of epoxy over a wood enclosed track you run the risk of having a thin spot that might wear through or not be thick enough to provide a moisture barrier. It is also going to pretty hard to realign the track with the router or mill once you have pulled it out and coated it.

I would also suggest applying the epoxy at the very end because even after it has cured over night the epoxy is still relatively soft for a few days and you run the risk of damaging the coating unless you have the time to wait for it to fully harden.

TL;DR Yes your method would work but its not the best or easiest way to do it.