Shooting Line Strength tests….

• I was pulling a large fish of the bottom last week in marginal visibility. It was some what of a PITA following the double wrap of black mono through the murk and kelp. Hard to follow. I started looking for more high vis options in a shooting line. I remember reading some where that guys were using orange or green weed wacker string as shooting line. I liked the colors so I went and pick some small spools up at the Home Depot. It has the appearance of being strong enough for local fishing. I decided to do some testing by hanging some weight from the mono and seeing where the fail point was. It was an eye opener for sure. I tested Riffe 400lb mono, BPS (Bass Pro Shop) 400 halyard line, momoi outrigger line green 2.0 ,2.4mm weed cord and 2.0 weed cord. All were loop crimped on both ends and the length tested was about 18 inches. Here are the rough breaking points:

Riffe mono: 200-225
    BPS mono 125-150
    momoi outrigger line 125-150
    2.4 weed cord 125-150
    2.0 weed cord 90-125

Not very scientific or controlled. However, I have some peace of mind and have ruled out the weed cord. It has a lot of stretch before it fails. Some of the failures were at the crimp and I think that is whole new set of test. I reduced crimp failures by going to double crimps on both ends. Not sure why it works but it does. I think it has to do with stretch and stress around the end loops. Anyhow, I thought I would share the results. In the end I decided to go with high vis orange dynema 2.2 line. 900lb test. Not my test. I will do some shooting with it this week to see how it performs.

Mike

• Mike, what you did is similar to what I did here http://spearfishing.world/spea…trong-is-mono-really.html You will see my idea about why/how the weed whacker line failed. Your results are consistent with mine except for the Momoi line. I weigh 225lb and even bounced on it. Did you use the right size crimps and a good crimping tool? Is it possible that the crimping was not consistent with the Momoi line? Maybe you got a bad or old batch.

• Mike, what you did is similar to what I did here http://spearfishing.world/spea…trong-is-mono-really.html You will see my idea about why/how the weed whacker line failed. Your results are consistent with mine except for the Momoi line. I weigh 225lb and even bounced on it. Did you use the right size crimps and a good crimping tool? Is it possible that the crimping was not consistent with the Momoi line? Maybe you got a bad or old batch.

I should have done a search before I started my experiment! The Momoi actually broke in the middle away from the crimp or in the loop. Could have been a bad batch. The weed wacker stuff broke at the crimp more often. I was using the standard green crimper and I have a variety of crimps to match the diameter.