Making a polespear grip with self amalgamating tape

• mine doesnt blast fish into pieces but the tip goes clear through and they usually get stuck at the end of the spear itself and you have to factor in that my spear is 2.7 lbs

• new grip works awesome but between my ridiculous band pull and somewhat loosely wrapped tape it now has molded fingerprints, kinda makes it even easier to hold. I can now hold onto my cocked spear longer than I can hold my breath (things were the other way around before the tape).

• OK so after two days of abuse my grip is already kinda FUBAR. I think a bad combo of wrapping it too loosely, not stretching it enough and not overlapping enough has left me needing to redo it. =( rookie mistake should be cured next time.

• Heres my follow up on this self amalgamating tape, I either suck at it or its just not strong enough for my band. on my odor I wrapped it and then used heatshrink tubing over the ends to seal it from peeling. well its kind of working but probably wont take more than a dozen trips worth of abuse. On my homemade I just wrapped tape and it peeled back into a big wad. Soooooo, I just ordered some MILSPEC 3:1 heat shrink tubing that has the adhesive layer inside. I'm hoping that this stuff will stick to the pole and still have the grippy rubber feel without all of the peeling/sliding.

• Have used 550 cord, in the same manner as Lunker used the copper with good results, I topped it of with white Duct tape applied under tension, Was in the island, all I had when a fish swam off with the whole front half of my new gatku into a DEEP cave, on the first shoot, :( it was rigth on target and super fast:thumbsup2: never recovered it, but got a full refund from the shop when I got back from the islands. Long story short..

This simple mod works, hunting with a pole is the best

I improved greatly two generic one piece fiberglass pole spears, saving the trip, as the long aspettoss were key for some nice mangoes that we had for dinner each nigth. big making then ribbed with what i had in a pinch. Of course with the gatku as inspiration

one you have a feel for it, you can set two cocked pionts, one all around comfortable point and and extreme load for when it really counts, with two turns of cord on the shaft.

I wrapped the the cord forming the ridge at a less agresive angle, feels the ridges travel through the hand easier upon release that way,

I left those two in the bahamas, but might build myself one soon and put some pics up

hope this helps

Dive safe:)

• I seem to only ever use full power I guess its because the odor is so heavy that the full power band barely moves it as is. Its always as far as I can stretch the band and then I just grip it as tightly as possible.