Safety Read

• I know that before I have read a post or thread on the basics on what to do if one of your dive partners has a SWB or accident while diving. I would like to find it or something similar and have all of my dive partners read and sign it prior to diving in an effort to be safer. If you have something or know where a link is please post it here. Thanks in advance!

• I do not think it is so much as signing something, unless of course you are a boat captain and have some legal form needed to sign, but, more to do with practicing safety drills so each knows exactly what to do and it is ingrained in them. It is difficult to explain a rescue drill for SWB without actually seeing exactly what to do in my opinion, but I found this for you to read and I added an important part which is to use the "Tap, Talk, Blow" method. When the diver is brought to the surface and you remove his mask, you should TAP his cheeks firmly, TALK his name out loud (breath Jim, breath Jim!!) and BLOW forcibly directly across his eyes a few times.

ASSISTING THE UNCONSCIOUS DIVER

Care should be given when assisting the unconscious diver to the surface who has experienced blackout. This physiological response is the body's voluntary response to the impending physical condition of critical hypoxia. The rescue person should take care in not startling or aggravating the unconscious diver's body, such as slapping or yelling at him, as this could cause the victim to stay in an unconscious state.

The following care should be given to the unconscious diver:

- The diver's head should be supported by cradling his neck
    - To help prevent the diver from taking in more water, cover the diver's mask and mouth with your free hand (the one not cradlng his neck)
    - While maintaining firm contact with the unconscious diver, swim to the surface, supporting the victim all the way to the surface.
    - Once at the surface, tilt the head upwards slightly to keep the airway open.
    - Any flotation device, such as a surface float, line or boat platform will help.
    - Remove the unconscious diver's mask to aid in air circulation and breathing.
    - Wait for the diver to regain consciousness (breathing, responsiveness to questions, etc).
    *Shallow Water Blackout response time is typically 3 - 10 seconds
    *Deep Water Blackout response time is between 10 - 30 seconds
    - Once the diver has recovered and is breathing on his own, continued observation by the rescuer is important until out of the water.

There is a possibility that the diver will surface and then blackout. Careful, detailed observation is required at all times by the rescuing entities involved. All diving should be stopped for that day.

If the diver does not respond and fails to start breathing on his own, begin the following:

*Ditch all weights and masks from the unconscious diver and the rescuer.
    *Start basic first aid, arousal, open the airway and check for breathing

If the diver is not breathing, initiate the following procedures:

*Signal for additional assistance
    *Begin performing artifical respiration (2 breaths initially, followed by 1 breath every 5 seconds)
    *Evacuate the diver from the water, either by towing to shore or to a boat
    *Once on shore or deck of the boat, continue maintaining airway control, artifical respiration, and check for a pulse. If no pulse is present, initiate CPR while continuing artifical respiration
    *Activate the planned EMS (Emergency Medical System)