Best float line around rigs?

• I am trying to figure out what the best setup would be for use out offshore on oil rigs. I have never rigged a floatline assembly, but courtesy of this forum's collected knowledge I feel fairly confident in this.

My gun is rigged with coated steel cable that I will attach to.....and then there would be the question. Im assuming it would be necessary to go with another coated line, an example being Riffe's coated line. I'm imagining bungie would be a bad idea considering all of the obvious sharp structure surrounding me out there. I like the idea of maybe running 10ft or so of bungie at some point to give a little play when I come across those soft bodied fighters though, that is if Im not completely out in left field on that thought.

I'm imagining the setup as follows:

shaft to cable to 75ft float line to float .....or.....
    shaft to cable to 60ft float line to 10ft bungie to float.

As far as a float I imagine I'll be making one of those lifeguard foam-filled cans very soon, as long as the price difference can justify the difference in purchasing the Rob Allen filled float I found at the link below. I may run a couple of lobster floats just for more flotation when I make it deep enough offshore for AJs too, just to be safe.

http://www.scubasworld.com/products.php?cat=135

Anyone expierienced around that type of structure or who has any suggestions it would be welcomed. I would rather have it done right at first rather than learning by losing gear. Thanks for any insight.

• i am not sure about the coated vs uncoated cable debate but I have heard that you want un coated so you can see if there is rust or abbrasion.

as for the floatline, it is my understanding that the rigs will cut just about anything so your best best is to keep the fish from the rig legs but that is easier said than done.

I have seen the new Riffe floatlines and while they are very nicely built the look exactly like spectra sheathed wakeboard tow ropes and I would say you could use one of those for a lot less $$

as for the bungee I think it depends on the fish you are after but a 10 ft section right before your float should not be a problem even if you never use or need it

i like to spear fish