effect of spear length on railguns?

• Hi alot of professional spearo's down here in Australia play with the lenght of there spears in there railguns/pipe guns, most commonly shortening them. Although i have heard of people using longer than standard.
    Unlike the US down here people mostly use railguns/pipe guns with Rob allen being the favourite it is very very uncommon to see someone with a wooden gun.
    I am very interested to hear what the positves and negatives are of using a different length spear to standard are
    Ollie

• A longer lenght will make easier to aim, however, you will get more shaft wip and the gun will be more nose heavy.

A shorter shaft will allow you to use a thicker shaft that will wip less and also will be more bend resistant. If you stay with the same thickness, the gun will be lighter in the water and will have less recoil.
    However, you have to get used to aim with it because at the beginning all your shots will be high.

Nothing that a little practice can't overcome.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• interesting that the shot go higher, is this with the same rubber as the standard length or is this with a new rubber suited to the shorter spear?

• but are you matching your bands to the spear when it goes higher or is this with the bands from the previous setup?

• marco can you use thicker spear if you make it short??

Sure! As far as you can introduce it in the mechanism. It is a matter of compromise. I like thicker shafts for two reasons: Less whip when shooting and less prone to bend with a fish, but aiming is different. However, after missing a few shots, you get used to.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.