Freediving Fins . . . . Makos.

• Hello Everyone,

I was in the market for a new pair of fins. It was a toss up between the Leader Fins or Makos . . . I opted for the Makos. Not that the Makos are better, I've never tried the Leader Fins, it was that Mako is here in the States if I had a problem, Dano and his staff have a awesome customer service reputation, plus I would not have to wait several weeks for delivery. I ordered these fins on a Monday and when I got home from work on Thursday they were on the pourch ;) :thumbsup2:

They are the Mako Competition Freediver FG's in MED. stiffness, size 10/11 or 44/45. I wear a size 10.5/11 in Nikes and my feet are a little wide, this footpocket with a 2mm sock fits very snug, but not uncomfortably snug. So far so good. I grabbed my mask and snorkle and went off the dock to give them a "test drive". Great feel in the water, good push up current and with 3 kicks I was down 22 ft. in a spring QUICKLY ! ! ! I'm a fair sized guy, 5'11" 245 lbs. and a average+ swimmer, I think these fins are about right for me. A tad bit stiff, but I think I just need to get used to them.

I will be going offshore this week, providing Mother Nature allows me, so I will be able to give a better depth diving report. As of now . . . . . great fiberglass blade, good footpockets and for $250.00 I think they're a good deal. I'll up date this post after I take them in the Big Pond - take care & be safe.

:diver2:

• Headed offshore today with my new kicks ! I can honestly say that they are up to snuff. Went out of Cedar Key and started in 35 ft. A few sheepies and hords of BIG grunts and sea bass, not a whole lot going on. Made several drops on each of the 4 or so spots. The fins felt really good. did not feel like I was working to hard to get down and moved well into the current. Next couple stops were in 48 ft. Found some hogfish and some decent red grouper (24' fish). The fins got me down well, quiet with no wobble as I glidded over the rocks - pretty responsive / snappy. Last area of the day was on the I-beam reef in 55 ft. This is about my max depth that I can hunt in freediving. When the cobia are in town this is a great hang out for them ! I slid over and made several hard kicks and then glided down toward the bottom. Was greeted by a school of "shorty" AJ's and spadefish - cool sight. On the bottom it was covered in mangos and gags with one brute of a jewfish standing guard ! ! ! Now I'm in water to try the after burners . . . . . the fins put me top side nicely. No slipage in the footpocket, good thrust to effort, again no wobble.

All in all, I probably did between 60 to 70 drops from 35 ft. out to 55 ft. and the fins worked and felt nice on my feet. My legs don't even feel like noodles (we'll see in the a.m.). The footpocket is a bit snug across the ball area of my foot, but it is not bad. I think I would really like these with H.D. footpockets due to my wide foot. Over all, for the money spent, I would have to rate these fins a 8.5 on a scale of 10 for performance, appearence and fit/feel. For someone wanting to buy a intro / first set of long fins I would say to give these a try.

AND THAT IS MY $.02 ON THAT :thumbsup2:

• Now start saving for the next upgrade.........................carbon!!!!

I hear ya ! ! ! Some of my "Non-Human" buddies have the carbons and they bounce in the 80 to 100 depths and swear . . . . "It's the FINS man" ! ! ! When I get to that point, I guess I'll have to cash in my piggy bank and join the Elitist Club :cool2:. I have tried them on and they're very light and VERY nice. After a few dives I did not want to give them back.:(.