Stonecrabs...lets talk about stonies

• So I want to try my hand at stone crabbing this year...I have dove the miami beach jetties before in years passed and always seen more crabss than I could get to and usually took home about 2 total claws.

This year i have decided to go all out and I am going to set up and use some traps as well.

So I have a few questions. I know that they are found nearshore and that they like mudflats adjacent to grassbeds. Does anyone have any experience with diving or trapping for them that they could share.

I know how to actually measure and remove the claw and I am a "take only one claw" guy.

I am not looking for specific spots (although if you want to, PM me :) ) just info about how to succeed in this venture

thanks

i like to spear fish

• I am planning on setting some traps behind my place too. Let me know if ya want to go looking for em; I am down.

• You know where to pick up some traps? I have some spots behind my place that I think may yield a few crabs.

• I vaguely remember as a kid that there is a technique for removing the claw and if not done correctly the crab will die. Declawing crabs is no longer legal in California.

• I have a buddy w a boat. But honestly I'd swim them out and check em out by a jetty.

As for the de-clawing you are right. Grab at the first knuckle and turn counterclockwise they will actually release the claw w no damage to the crab

i like to spear fish