Spearshaft to shooting line quick-connect?

• I know that the standard way to connect mono or cable shooting line to the doghouse or sharkfin of a spearshaft is with a crimped connection.

But, has anyone used any sort of removable connection? When diving around structure, I have to replace my mono shooting line frequently. Sometimes, I should probably even replace it mid-day, but I'm never in the mood to break out the stuff on the boat when there are fish about. I could use cable, of course. But I don't like the way it tends to kink, the weight that it adds to my gun, and the fact that I can't cut it quickly if I need / want to.

I'm using a Ray Odor shaft with the doghouse, so I have more room to work with than the small hole throuh a sharkfin tab. Is there anything better out there than a big snap swivel?

• :D seahunter49 = memory like an

I realize that if it keeps coming up it's an important issue to you. I also thought about it before but settled for bringing a second pre rigged shaft on every dive. This kills two birds with one stone in the eventuality that you bend a shaft. I coil the mono (a small coil but the mono doesn't kink) and secure it to the shaft with small zip ties. It's very neat and easily deployed. This way I also don't have to bring a backup gun.

• If you're not planning to change the line mid-dive, just have extra pre-cut lengths ready to go on the boat. All you need to bring are an extra set of hand crimps to secure that last bit of mono around the shaft. I don't really like the snapswivel idea, that's gonna rattle and potentially come off when you shoot it. It is also less streamlined and might affect the shaft accuracy with it's hydrodynamic and mass effects.

• I did say to cut off the swivel and Jeff did say that he doesn't want to crimp. Unless by hand crimps you mean a special type of crimp that can be secured without a tool? Anyways those escape proof snaps are pretty small once the swivel is removed. I also think that for short range shooting in the low vis situations the drag of the swivel will not affect accuracy.

• Jim - You could be right, of course, but I'm still curious. One of the things that I have been wanting to do is to take equivalent lines of mono, cable, and spectra-over-mono and do some target practice to see if they have significant impact on my aim.

FWIW, from this picture, it appears that the snap part of these is the same size for the 200#, 300#, and 500# sizes, just with different swivels.

Edit - I might also try one of these for securing the other end of the shooting line to the muzzle bungie. The wire end on the regular style of snap swivel is really scratching up my gun.