Spearfishing in the Cayo Coco area?

• silvertriton , i'll ask my friend in habana, he will hook u up anywhere u want to go. and in la isla i know plenty of people. so, just let me know when u are going .

dad had a boat and it was to much trouble...

a shame for your dad...
    but I guess you know the 3 basic cuban says :
    -It's not allowed!
    -It's difficult!
    -It's IMPOSSIBLE!!...:nono:

will be in cayo largo area and have right connections there, so that I can get a sportfishing boat and discreetly do bwh or cubera chasing
    coast is 1/2 the day renting at Cape Hatteras or Miami...
    did a lot of hunting with ex Pipin colleagues
    Cuban spearo are, in my modest opinion, among the most skilled all over the blue planet.;)

• Dear Panyoja,
    many thanks for the help, I have now found some accommodation in Havana, I will be in Havana on the 25th December and plan to be in la Isla from the 28th for 4 days before maybe spending a couple more days in Trinidad. If you can please send me your firends fdetails as soon as possible. What is the best way to travel from Havana to where your friends are? Will I need some unusual thinghs like mosquito nets? What foreign items would be most appreciated by your firends? Do they have access to a boat?
    Ciao

• the area i fish is very remote as i said, you could use some mosquito repelent , but as it's december it won't be to bad. i'm sending a friend a message right now to ask him to be there in the isle waiting for u , and if he can't be , then have someone to do so. he owns the house in the pic and he can make arrangements to take u fishing . you will not need a boat there. all you have to swimm out is a couple hundred metters to be on the second reef. some places even less. but i'll pm you a couple of his numbers so you can call him. you speak spanish , right ?

• Hey all,

Great thread here. I'm new to this post, but will be headed down to Trinidad on new year's day.

Any of you heard of a way to rent/borrow a gun and get out to the reefs there. I am on temporary duty in Grand Cayman and as there isn't any spearing allowed around here, I left my gun at home!

best,

Makaliiolani

• Hi Makaliiolani, I am planning to visit Pantoja's firends in the isla de la Juventud but on the 1st and 2nd january i am planning to meet up with some relatives in Trinidad and will be carring a 75cm and 110cm which we could share...send me your details in a private message asap since I will travel to Cuba tomorrow and i am not sure how often I will be able tocheck my mail...
    Ciao

• not really , but fishin in the whole area is pretty good. did i say south west ? sorry , i ment south east. and i ment all the keys you mentioned before. but to the other side, the west , theres good fishing too . el cayuelo has a lot of fish, specially when the muttons spawn. they have to pass through there . the farther away the keys are the better because fewer people go there. a friend of mine was stationed in cantiles some time ago and he didn't fish deep . but the fishing was sooo good even in the shalow.

• Hi Pantoja
    I did not make it to la ISla due to overbooked transport...i am now in Trinidad will try to do some fishing around here but a swim out today off La boca did not see anything worth catching...
    Ciao

• oh, sorry about that. well, maybe next time. to do this kind of trips you have to do everything with plenty of time in advance. i never fished trinidad , but you should find a local spearo to show you around.

• Hi, Cuba is stunningly beautiful but as I have heard many say before its real treasure are its people.... unfortunately I do not have much to report about spearfishing in Trinidad since in the 3 days which I managed to get in the water, I saw no interesting fish at the modest depth (12-15m) at which i was fishing... I once did go with a local spearo/diving instructor who told me that they do not waste time with apnea and use aqualungs, then he borrowed my gun and shot a sea turtle resting in a few metres of water which I then had to finish off since he had no knife....it was quite an upsetting experience and was very annoyed had used my equipment...on the last day I met a very nice spearo who was able to get much deeper than me but also he came out with only a couple of large conch shells...

One thing worth reporting may be that once I shot a very large lion fish, while trying get it out of the spear, it stung the top of my hand....within 30 minutes I dipped the hand in very hot water for about 20 minutes, then since I had with me the first aid kit, I was able to take an antihistamine tablet, some paracetamol and apply some hydrocortisone cream to the very inflamed hand and within one hour the pain was easily bearable...I believe these three medications with the addition of some vinegar for jellyfish stings are essential items for a First-aid kit at sea...

Again many thanks to Pantoja for the advice and his Cuban friends whom I sincerely hope to visit at the next opportunity.

it stung the top of my hand....

this fish could be pretty venimous :( lucky you did'nt get an anaphylactic reaction.

Unfortunately lion fish "pez vela invasor" are everywhere in Cuban reefs.
    a massive weapon of destruction sent by "the bad imperialist US gov"! (I met a couple of cuban believing this story!):rolleyes1:

• this fish could be pretty venimous :( lucky you did'nt get an anaphylactic reaction.

Unfortunately lion fish "pez vela invasor" are everywhere in Cuban reefs.
    a massive weapon of destruction sent by "the bad imperialist US gov"! (I met a couple of cuban believing this story!):rolleyes1:

Lion fish are everywhere in the caribbean, here in Puerto Rico(& I believe everywhere else) they have become real problem & the ONLY natural predator the Lion Fish has in the caribbean are spearos..Now going back to fishing in Cuba, I have a friend that's in the milatary & was stationed in Guantanamo & he said spearing, hook & line fishing there was just unbelievable, he was showing Me pics of monster lobsters he caught close to the shore in just 4 to 5 feet of water..I would love to go there, not only to fish, but also to sit down with the locals & enjoy some Havana Club(si es Reserva o Máximo pues mejor) & Guayabita del Pinar..