cutting enclosed track

• about to start cutting my enclosed epoxy track. I got the neptonics ball cutter and just wondering if anyone knows what a good speed for cutting this thing on and end mill. I can only move the mill table slowly so feed rate cant really be changed. any advice or experience would be appriciated. I will try to post some pics of the gun when finished. its going to be a 60" rear handle tigerwood enclosed track freeshaft/lineshaft gun.

I would also highly recommend tigerwood and it seem easy to work with, similar to teak. Buoyance is nearly perfect and also water resistant. Not to mention the Beauty.

• I cut the G-10 tracks that I make at about 1200 rpm with a fairly slow travel speed. I also take as much of the material to be removed as I can out with a straight end mill the size of the neck of the ball cutter. Mine are 3/16" but I'm not sure what Josh's cutters neck size is. Go slow with the straight cutter and make several passes- I broke a 3/16" end mill the other day trying to take too much out in a pass. With the ball mill, I go down and back, then turn the mill off, re-position the blank with the ball cutter still in, and re-start the mill. I go back a few inches further than the start of the cut so I can start the travel, then start the mill. This will give you a smoother transition between the cuts, and cutting both ways will give you a smoother track.

• Thanks for the reply Wood Guy. I was hoping either you or jeff would comment as i know you guys have a lot of experience with cutting tracks.

Wood Guy, Where do you buy those rubber bungs ive seen you use for loading pads and have you had any problems with the rubber

• Here's the link. Pick the one where the small end is as big or bigger than the gun butt cross section. They are thicker than you'll need so each stopper makes 2-3 loading pads. I've had good success using Permatex # 81158 black silicone adhesive sealant for gluing the pads on. Being black, it blends in well with the butt pad, and it's waterproof and flexible.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#tapered-rubber-plugs/=gxt827

I've been using the rubber for over a year and no problems so far. I like it because it's a little firmer than the old sandal sole and seems to hold up really well. And when you can get 2 or 3 for $6 I just don't think you can go wrong.

By the way, the smaller ones with the holes in them also make great tip guards- you can get a pack of 40 for about $6.

Edited once, last by Wood Guy ().