FL Spiny Lobster mount

• Anybody who has ever dove with me knows that I just can't resist a lobster, and this one is no different. :D

Last winter while on break, I brought several tails home for the family and to gift to a few special people. Among those special people is the maintenance man at the resort I work for. He also does taxidermy as a side job. The day after I gave him the tails, he approached me with a tupperware container full of lobster bisque that his wife had made the night before (which was absolutely excellent), and a proposition. We cut a deal, I was to bring 2 nice bugs back the next time I was in town.. he would mount both, one for him to add to his collection of wildlife, and one for myself.
    He brought some pictures to work this morning. All that's left to do is make a plexiglas display box.. I'm stoked, can't wait.:)

• He uses a bunch of exacto type knives with curved blades on them.. along with a lot of patience. He removed all of the meat from the tail and all the nasty stuff in the head, then he soaked it in some preservative solution that I can't remember the name of. Once dry he used a lot of powdered borax. After curing it is almost colorless, similar to a molt; he hand painted it and then coated it with an epoxy. My biggest concern was also the smell, I've yet to see it in person but he assured me there's no odor.

• Hand painting would require talent to get all the tonalities right. It would have to be air brushed. I can't see a way to take the meat of the legs, antenna etc. but epoxy should seal everything in. I'd like to see what the bottom looks like, is it all open?

• He just let the meat in the legs and antennas dry out. I'm 99% sure he hand painted it. He's old school, still hand paints all of his duck bills and such. I'll ask about it tomorrow, as I'm curious now as well.

• You're right Dan, he used an air brush for the carapace. Shows how much I know about art:D