Sling Penetration

• It was a new shaft with a pretty sharp tip although I might try to grind a different angle on it next time. Im also going to try to use the tri-cut shaft I have and see if that helps any.

• I can tell from the pic: your grip, your angle of pull, and the length of the tubing are dictating, in this case, hindering, the power of your shot.

• The following photos illustrate the 3 points of grip, angle of pull, and length of tubing.
    Regards the tubing, 7/16 o.d with 1/8 i.d. is common. Adjust the length to a strong yet comfortable pull for you. If you make the sling too strong to pull smoothly, your hand will shake and accuracy will suffer. Note proper grip with the butt of the sling in the heel of the hand(thenar and hypothenar eminences), and proper angle of pull is across your chest with shoulder approx 90 degrees abduction. The weaker sling in the pic is the one I shot the Doormat Hog with in Exuma last July. I used it because I wanted to ensure accuracy since I was in the Freaking Bahamas!, and diving alone. In that instance the spear easily penetrated behind the eye and actually split the right jawbone as it exited(I love remembering that).
    Effective spearing with a Sling is extremely rewarding and a skill well worth honing. Some shots I still totally blow with fish at a standstill broadside. And at times I've split the spine going away from 10 ft away. I forget the bad shots and eat well off the good ones!

• Freekeydiver,

Thanks for the advice and that is a very good description of proper technique. Im curious as to what you see in the screenshots that is off? The technique you describe is how I shoot a sling (at least thats how I was taught) only the sling I was using was 1/2" od and 1/8" inner diameter. Its possible that in some scenarios my technique is off because of my bodies orientation in the water but I dont remember that to be the case in the shot pictured.

I started this thread because I felt I wasnt getting enough penetration, not because I thought my slings power was lacking. As you can see in the screen captures there is sufficient power to knock the fish back and flex the shaft significantly but the spear simply did not go through the fish. The more I discuss this with friends and the members of this board the more Im inclined to think it might be the point of the spear. And although it was new it just wasnt a good tip. Im going to experiment with a couple different points next time I go and see if there is any improvement.

• Xan you may be right but I have shot fish with spears that had really dull tips. Like ball point pen sharp.

If it was moving fast enough a piece of rebar would penetrate.

I suspect that a tri cut would help.

i like to spear fish

• Wishihadgills,
    I was looking mostly at the first screen capture where your grip is partially covered by the band and looked a bit off, but I see you are gripping the sling properly.
    I agree it must be the tip, and I also prefer the tri-cut.

• I have a lot of hawaiian sling experience and I generally stick with the 5/16 shaft and band size really doesn't matter as long as u can pull it straight back. Looking at ur pics and shaft whip I would guess ur bending the shaft in the shooter when pulled back across ur chest. This will cause lots of shaft whip. But from experience I suggest 5/16 shaft with a flopper 1 inch from tip. Ive seen plenty of great penetrating shots with Bahamians using the worst looking bands and dullest points imaginable. Usually no floppers