RIP Gil Gacula

• Dear Speardiver members...my name is Nyle and I was a close friend of Gil Gacula. His wife asked if I would share some memories about Gil at his service on Friday. After reading many of the thoughtful posts on this thread, I joined and wanted to reach out to those who knew him or have used one of his guns. We both grew up in Hawaii, but unlike him I gave up free diving many years ago. For him diving and designing spear guns was his passion. Even I didn't appreciate the broad appeal of his work around the world. If anyone would like to share their thoughts I will do my best to incorporate your comments into my eulogy and help his family and friends to understand the impact of his work.

His obituary was published today in the Seattle Times.
    Gilbert Alan Gacula Obituary: View Gilbert Gacula's Obituary by The Seattle Times

I know his family will be grateful to know there are so many out there who have expressed their well wishes already.

Thank you,

Nyle
    Lynnwood, WA

• Thank you Nyle,
    Gil will forever be a hero of mine, he custom built my all time favorite speargun, the gun I competed in the 06 nationals with. Wow that seems so long ago..
    That day, I didn't miss a single fish, landing a 17lbs black grouper, a 9lbs hogfish and some others. Not bad for a day in Dania:) I managed to best several of the grizzled old favorites, the champion weighed a stringer of 5 jacks. I will remember that for a long time. The mojo of that gun is unreal.

The only thing I can equate it to, is a Japanese sword maker, that imbues his spirit into his work. Its palpable. Amazing!

When I found his website, it was like, someone had read my mind. When we first spoke about the project, his gracious humble way, struck me as something special. When he decided on a price, I was blown away by his fairness. In retrospect, what I received was far beyond any of my expectations, and fairness.

Feel free to use any of my post as you please.

Its a testament to his stature in the community, that those who were his competition as gun builders, are willing to honor him as an inspiration by building memorial guns.

He was a true giant, his work will continue and one day, he will finish my quiver!

Anything I can do, will do gladly.

As a new father, the sadness is more real than ever.

If his Children, Family or yourself ever find yourselves in Florida, please know, there are people in this state that are in your debt. I would be honored to take them for a snorkel, fishing, when the time comes.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and his family

• Farewell my friend:( You will be missed.
    The world has lost lost a truly humble man; dedicated to his family and his work.

A true craftsman and a true human being. May he rest in peace.