Overwhelmed Santa looking for pole spear/sling suggestions

• Jay Riffe lifted quality when spearguns were pretty ordinary and concentrated on Bluewater spearfishing, especially the rigging, so they had set the benchmark which forced others to do the same. Now I am not a Riffe salesman and sure others have produced weapons since that are equally as good, but you can walk in a store and buy one off the shelf which has a guarantee behind it and years of track record in the field. As for cost, well they have a US workforce which is not being paid third world wage rates, so that increased cost has to be met. Spearfishermen (and women) plan the product line, not a bunch of marketing men and accountants. In 1995 Riffe were one of the sponsors of the inaugural “Bluewater Freediving Classic” Australian Open event at Woolgoolga in northern NSW, so they have put back into the sport in a big way.

Bear in mind that forum contributors such as ourselves, and other “regulars”, represent a tiny fraction of the spearfishing population and what seems to be a majority view here will not necessarily represent the entire tribe.

• Hi Pete,
    With respect, thanks for the history lesson.

Sorry, I just can't agree with you this time but this thread was never the place for that discussion in the first place, so I apologize for contributing to take it there.

I am sure Santa will find good gifts for her sons. I, for one, wish I was 16/17 and saw a long, very narrow package trying to fit under the tree.
    Happy holidays and cudos to the OP for seeking good answers to make sure her boys get amazing holiday gifts:-)

All best, as always,
    David

• I can walk around my block on trash day and gather enough materials to make a polespear. Trunking it with some churchills and ghetto stick can be quite rewarding. Especially when everyone else gets skunked. You can spend as much money as you want but you still have to pay your dues.