Fiberglass blades comparison, DiveR, Edge & Waterway

• Dave, sorry I grabbed your post from SB, but I thought it was pertinent here.

Quote from dewasw

Last weekend I tried the Mares Razor footpockets with soft DiveR blades. I was unpleasantly surprised about their performance as I initiated my surface dive. It's kind of hard to explain, but the fin angle combined with looong blades, messed up my execution as I use the fin blades to slightly lift my upper body just before tucking under and getting vertical. I think the problem has to do with the angled/long blade being much further underwater than a conventional long blade fin. I have not given up on the DiveRs and will try to adapt my execution when I have more time to experiment.........Dave

And the carbon fins :thumbsup2: http://spearfishing.world/fins…s/881-carbon-fins-fs.html

• Dan
    1.)What is the average length/distance between the grooves on the tendon?
    2.)What is the size of the bit/attachment that you use to cut the grooves?
    3.)What is the bit/attachment made out of for those of us who don't have a dremel but do have other electrical tools?
    4.)Is it worth doing this mod. to a black Nemo #3 fin?

The man who wins is the man who thinks he can.

• If you're going by the pic below it's a photoshop.

There is no set distance. But I'd try every 2cm.
    This is the Dremel grinding bit I'd use. The diameter at the widest part is about 1cm. The coned shape allows adjustment of how much material you want to remove. It's made of regular grinding wheel material, the kind of grinding wheel used in a bench grinder.

I don't think it's worth it to do with a #3 blade Nemo fin. Most of the stiffness is in the blade. Weakening the tendon is not going significantly change the overall stiffenss. I'd try a softer blade before altering the footpockets.

• What about totally removing the tendon in the same way you did to your pursuit freeblades?

• Blades are no problem to get hold of. I was just wanted to get your perspective for the benefit of the other members. Thanks for your help.

• Hi, I have Omer Millennium pockets with Leaderfins Waves soft blades (fiberglass/carbon). I feel that the tendons are too stiff for the blades, the blade bend is more L-shape rather than an arch. Do you guys think modifying the tendons (shorter/narrower) would help, or should I just get stiffer blades?

Jussi Rovanpera
    AIDA Freediving Instructor
    Moalboal, Philippines

• Leader fiberglass/carbon blades medium stiffness are ok. The soft and hard versions of this blade are poor performers. Based on this alone I wouldn't waste time trying to make the soft Leader fin work.

The rest depends on which omer Millennium footpocket you have, some have very tendons stiff, others have correct moderate stiffness. In between sizes like 41-43 and 43-45 are always too stiff. Some footpockets from old production are very stiff/plastic like. To make sure you have correct stiffness omer Millennium footpockets buy here Footpockets - FreediveStore.com

• Thanks for the info Dan! My pockets are 41-43. The LF blades are very soft, and I don't get the power I'd want out of them, they'll just bend out of shape...

Jussi Rovanpera
    AIDA Freediving Instructor
    Moalboal, Philippines