Angled Carbon Fins

• Which carbon fins have the steepest angle to them?

I have heard great things about the Carbontek's but can't find any info about them, the same goes for dbsub.

All input is welcome.

• I have a pair of Spierre Pure Carbons arriving this week. I will let you know. I couldn't find the angle listed with the other specs, but if they are modeled after the FG blades, then it will be pretty steep.

• They are, but with the price of FG blades where they are now:0, why wouldn't one go with carbon for a few dollars more?

I got the med-hard stiffness which run $455. They are not yet listed on the Sumora website. I went to Erik directly, to get them. I will post a report on them when I get a chance to use them.

• Not a steep angle, the correct angle http://spearfishing.world/fins…carbon-fins-for-sale.html

Some observations about blade angle http://spearfishing.world/fins…er-edge-and-waterway.html

The way I reasoned the lack of propulsion with the DiveR blades is this. Apart from the heaviness/length combination there had to be another reason because if the heaviness/length was the only factor then by exerting more effort I should have been able overcome it and create more propulsion. The problem is with the angle. Increasing the angle for more comfortable surface swimming has a trade off. This is obvious if you consider that the angle can't be increased forever. It can't be increased forever because the energy transfer on the down stroke starts to lag more and more behind your kick and the up stroke becomes more and more difficult just like doing a ham curl. This is why I worked out my hams the first time I used the DiveR blades. There is a sweet spot where ankle comfort, energy transfer to the blade and the discharge of this energy into the water are at correct balance. The DiveR IMO passed this point. There is a reason why all blades on the market maintain an angle less than 20 degrees against the DiveR 25 degrees. After the first day using the DiveR I thought it might work out. I figured I can never increase the tendon strength in my ankles but my hams will get stronger eventually and I'll be able to handle the blades. This idea flew out the window when I realized how far the blade lags behind on the down stroke. This is when I made the decision that I don't want to use these blades any more.

• OK, got me blades today. I also got an e-mail back from Erik at Sumora. The blades have 24 degrees of bend, which I can's seem to wrap my mind around because they seem at least 5 degrees less than my DiveRs, which are supposed to be 25 degrees:confused1:

I don't have anything to measure the angle and I simply don't feel like doing any trig at the moment:boring1:

I have included some pictures so everyone can see the angle of both, mounted in an Omer foot pocket. The one with significantly more bend is the DiveR.

I was quite surprised to see how thick these blades were. All the other carbon blades I have seen were paper thin. The bend is somewhat like a FG blade. I'll be sure to post something once I have had a chance to try them out.

By the way, the blade dimesions are 80cm X 22cm.

• John,

It wasn't scientific but I just put a protractor up to your picture and the angle is 20 degrees, so Dive R's are probably 25.

• No problem, I just talked with Pierre the maker and he said it is 24. So its a good thing I'm not an engineer!

• I just took measurements and "calced" it out at 23.5 degrees. It makes me wonder what the true angle of the DiveR blade is.

• I have mixed feelings on them. I got the softs. I really liked them at first, They were great for surface work and descents were effortless. From a pure freediving perspective, they were awesome. However, the first time I shot a decent fish with them I was cursing the day I ever got them. Like Dan had mentioned, they were just too long and took way to much time and effort to make them respond. A small AJ kicked my ass because I just couldn't kick fast enough. I ended up cutting them, and I like them alot better now. I cut the tips off at the end of the rails (took off the round part of the blade) they are very similar to what these Spierres look like, now. They still perform well, and the response time is much shorter now.

• I got the mediums and really like them, but I have only tried Beuchat Carbon fins to rate them against. I have also tried Omer Pegaso's. I prefer the Dive R's over both of them.

• Here's the picture of the cut DiveR along side the new Spierre carbon.

I have also included a shot of them side by side for comparison of the angle.

I am very eager to go try the new carbons, as i feel that they are just what I have been looking for. I have a pair of Mat Mas FG that I love, but they are a bit hard on the ankles during surface work as the angle is very low. They wreck my legs after swimming against a stiff current, but I love them for up and down work. The DiveR just don't seem to have enough ass(soft model) to haul up bigger fish. These Spierres seem like they should fit right in between.