Complicated solution to a simple problem

• I came across this looking for something else in the attic. It was one of my first DIY projects from back when we used to spend all day out at Fort Pickens just hanging out and diving around the old fort stuff. We wanted something portable to keep our stuff out of the sand between dives, so . . .

Dan - You might recognize the telescoping black tubes. :D

• Very nice work and I recognized the tubes immediately. Now I understand why you had the different size ones and how they fit so nicely inside one another. I'd say this is a beautiful example of gear made for a very specific application for lack of having a tree close by :D

Where did you find the end pieces with the rounded point? Where did you find the clamp fittings and how do they work? What did the whole project cost you in materials? Damn this looks like something that you can market and would sell nicely.

• The ends of the legs are just a rubber "crutch tip" that fits snuggly on the 3/4" diameter tube. I made the clamps from PVC bar stock, with a shape designed to allow the rods to snap in place. I pretty much made everything except for buckles and having the anodizing done. Getting the tubes to telescope perfectly was the toughest part, and is most of what takes the time when assembling. But resulting action meets my specs.:D

Probably about $75 in parts, because I bought a lot of the pieces in quantity with the intent of selling some through the local dive shops. That didn't pan out when one shop folded and took several racks with them when they skipped town. :nono: Anyway, I think I still have enough pieces laying to make another half dozen or so.

Edited once, last by Guest ().

• to resurrect the oldie...I think this is a great idea, with even more applications...think about how easy it would be to rinse down your gear with one of these bad boys, and even a place to do the initial dry out.

if you want to try to get these sold on ebay, I would be happy to help you take the pics and rig it up with a few different set ups and uses.

it would also be sweet if you could add an acc. tray for beach side filleting and such...just a though, but it might be do-able if you just put two horizontal supports on two legs and just laid a cutting board across.

regardless, great vision and execution

i like to spear fish

• These turned out to take a lot more time to put together than I thought. I was very picky in developing a telescoping action that was smooth, and locked solidly, with no looseness or wobble. That, plus about $100 worth of materials, and ultimately I learned that it just wasn't worth it for me to make them for sale. I'll have to look, though, because I think I still have a bunch of pre-cut parts boxed up in the attic.