Nostalgia and the evolution of spear guns

• This post is mostly intended for the baby boomer generation (like me) who are by now, ripe enough!

I found the very first french speargun my Dad had given me for my 13th. birthday. It sure brought back alot of memories It was a Champion/Cavalero Arbalete aluminum two rubber bands.
    Some time latter he upgraded me to a Tarzan 4 rubbers. I had it made!

I have always wondered... those were relatively primitive guns, our fins were short, uncomfortable as well as out round masks with a metal circle, no equalization possibilities except finding the way around under your nose as you could! Would you believe I dove with a hard aluminum snorkel?:(

And we dove, and speared fish of all kinds! These days we must expend a fortune in all those geeky looking, high tech, state of the art gear..:crazy:

Check out the link: http://www.skindivinghistory.c…intage/Arbalete-Guns.html

Edited 2 times, last by ricksafer: Alzheimers...? ().

• sadly my first gun, mask and fins are long gone but the memories linger. my first gun was a spring loaded balco and my mask had the snorkel attached to it at the top with a ping pong ball in a cage at the end to prevent water from going down it and of course the short, stiff fins. i was about 10 and i was "the man".

steve

steve veros

in loving memory of paolo