PoleSpears- Ray odor

• can you post pics of the odor broken down please?

I am intrigued about how you would assemble the parts

how do I post pictures??? I have the one piece so the only "pieces" per se are the tip, main shaft, and the band. I think im going to buy the pieces to make a hollow one and see how it turns out... lunker im thinking about it and depending on how mine turns out I may be able to make you something that you could use on your yak...

• OK so I caved and ordered the parts to make the spear... came out to $33.17 shipped. should be here sometime next week and ill keep you guys updated on progress.

Lunker - I was thinking more about a breakdown model, and just wanted to inform you that due to the extra pieces req'd. it would cost a little bit more. I need to know how long you want each segment and # of segments so I could put together an approximate price of materials. second thing I was thinking about would be attaching the segments, since I dont have a machine shop my plan was thread the tube and use a threaded insert in each one, securing one side with jb weld. Now heres where the problem arose: to use that 3/4" tube i need to try to find 9/16" threaded rod (preferably aluminum) if I cant find aluminum my next suggestion would be stainless. the only problem with using stainless is that by using disimilar metals we would be inducing corrosion. other thought on this was, and it involves alot more work, would be to buy 9/16" aluminum rod and I could thread it. thus helping to prevent corrosion and using all aluminum saves a little bit of weight also I wouldnt have to use jb weld I could actually weld the one threaded side in. let me know if you have any thoughts/ideas. im excited to see how mine turns out and we can proceed forward with making you one depending on my final product.

• I hope that Jeff is reading this thread because I would value his insight..

the ideal spear for my application consists of 4, 2ft sections and have a removable tip. i would want to be able to use it as a 3 or 4 section spear.

my thoughts about your plan...I think it sounds perfect, but stainless would be a lot more expensive...I think the aluminum would have to be fairly thick walled to accept being threaded itself as opposed to using an insert and I would be concerned that it might bulge and then lock..what is the wall thickness for the tubing you mentioned?

i like to spear fish

• Lunker I think four sections would just present more opportunity for failure unless you were thinking of using a slip-tip.

• so ideally you want an 8ft plus tip??? stainless isnt that expensive, the hardest part is to find threaded rod of that size, im thinking I would have to buy rod and thread it. the outside diameter is 3/4" and its 1/8" wall.

• 02, thanks for the pic!

Kyle, for when I wold be using it with all four sections, I would have the slip tip on it, I agree, at that length, it would be too long to be able to handle anything big thrashing about with it.

Mike, I look forward to seeing your spear however you choose to go about it, I just dont know the physics well enough to know how strong that would be. 1/8" leaves very little wall behind it and some really shallow threads, no?

i like to spear fish

• SO since this thread was originally about the ray odor I thought Id post a little update about mine. Although it is substantially slower than some others out there (including my home-made) I did manage to shoot a legal but fairly small spanish mackerel today. Talk about a tricky target, my first shot missed because I didn't lead him enough but he sped off and quickly doubled back (seems to be a typical response as long as the spear doesnt make contact). Anyway I took the second shot and led him just right and the tip hit just behind the gill plate a little bit low.

• I know unfortunately not all fish swim in lines as straight as macs, luckily though this one did. but thats why ill be contacting you about a gun soon and I wont have to worry about this.

P.S. my fins really proved themselves today in the strong currents - my friends couldnt keep up and I was towing the boogie board and the lobster bag(they had nothing).... I'll try to convince them to give you a call.

• very nice report..you were using your homemade spear right? not the odor.

Hey Dan...why not amend the name of this thread to be just Polespears....encourage more contributions

i like to spear fish